Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Install

Hopefully an easy question. Can I put the crank pulley back on using the original bolt? Or should I try to find a install/remove kit?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use the original bolt to install the new pulley. It will only thread in a couple turns and you'll risk stripping out the end of the crank. If there's a Fastenall or similar hardware store in your area they might carry one that fits. If not MacMaster-Carr has them for cheap.

M16 x 120mm x 2.0 pitch
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did my cam and head swap tried using the old bolt to install the pulley and bad idea. I ended up almost striping out the threads... So i borrowerd my neighbors Ls style crank pulley install tool. So either get a longer bolt to pull it on or go rent the tool or purchase one. I almost havd a huge issue on my hands. Get the tool or longer bolt!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Teching In

hey guys! im trying to do remove my crankshaft pulley and ran into a problem when taking it off i just couldnt get it all the way off with the autozone pulle remover its super close to coming off if ya have any tips id appreciate its my first time doin this.. i ordered a gm chrysler puller to get off cause the autozone tools werent working anymore one broke and one was to big ;( so im waiting for that tool so i can finish the job but do i need an install tool also now?? and how do i install the new one the right way? again first time doin this thanks guys!!! s
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hot2000ss
hey guys! im trying to do remove my crankshaft pulley and ran into a problem when taking it off i just couldnt get it all the way off with the autozone pulle remover its super close to coming off if ya have any tips id appreciate its my first time doin this.. i ordered a gm chrysler puller to get off cause the autozone tools werent working anymore one broke and one was to big ;( so im waiting for that tool so i can finish the job but do i need an install tool also now?? and how do i install the new one the right way? again first time doin this thanks guys!!! s
sorry i PUT THE THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS ON ACCIDENT
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately order a tool for the job, I removed my balancer once and tried to pull it on with a Longer ARP bolt, well lets just say that didnt go to well, it ended up breaking the bolt inside the crankshaft and I had to tap the end of the snout on the crankshaft.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Install