Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help this damn Jingle is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help this damn Jingle is driving me crazy!

OK, this has gone on way to long, someone has to have had this same issue. My exhaust steup is as follows, stock manifolds, stock cats, SLP high flow y Pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1 catback.
I have both rear heat shields completely removed. I have a 1/4 Rubber pad on top of the panhard brace. The exhaust is not touching anything that I can see all the way from the engine back. I have put my hand on about every component under the car trying to narrow down this jingling and nothing has narrowed it down. I completely removed the rear hangers (reinstalled after eliminating them as a source) thinking that was it and it still did it. I thought maybe brake lines, but that does not appear to be it either.
SOmeone has to hae some ideas.
The noise is very audible in this video, but not so much in the car or while driving. Have a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EZNzQ_U0I
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a loose bolt or something rattling to me. Maybe an exhaust clamp?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you could move the camera around while its idling? Maybe we could pinpoint the noise? My guess was idler pulley or something like a pulley...but damn that is weird.

Maybe the Bike, thumb bell mod?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

is the loudmouth resonator resting up against anything? or any chance something is inside it?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Sounds like a loose bolt or something rattling to me. Maybe an exhaust clamp?
Man I have snugged up the clamps several times, they are all good.
I have looked for any and every thing bolted down on the car, it almost sounds like its coming from inside the exhaust back by the axle.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Girlfriend said..."does it have a supercharger?"

Put it on ramps and get under there. Could be loose converter/flexplate bolts. My car made all sorts of raquet when those were loose. Dangerous too!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
If you could move the camera around while its idling? Maybe we could pinpoint the noise? My guess was idler pulley or something like a pulley...but damn that is weird.

Maybe the Bike, thumb bell mod?

You can't even hear the noise from the front of the car, it definately sounds like something from the rear end area.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I had a 94 z28 vert similar sound w borla cat back finally traced it to e brake cable hitting at the split to both rear wheels. good luck man
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twelver12
is the loudmouth resonator resting up against anything? or any chance something is inside it?
Thought that maybe, but I got over a inch of clearance damn near everywhere on the whole exhaust. The only place its even close is the panhard bar brace. I strapped some rubber heater hose around that panhard brace and am pretty sure thats not it.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHIRP4TH
I had a 94 z28 vert similar sound w borla cat back finally traced it to e brake cable hitting at the split to both rear wheels. good luck man

I'll have to give that another look, its kinda hard to see on top of the pumpkin
Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a similar noise. Does it a start up or certain accelerations not sure what speed. But I have stock exahaust and went under there and started hitting stuff to find the source. I can hit the y and here what sounds like a loose clamp (metal rattling) but cannot find it. Could be above the heat shields and below the floor pans.. sorry for no help but would love to find my source as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definantly sounds like a metallic ring. Something on your car is vibrating in harmony with youre exhaust at whatever rpm your holding it at in the video. It doesn't necessarily have to be an exhaust component. Look for anythig loose on your car and just start grabbing stuff while it's doing it (assuming youre intelegent enough to not grab hot stuff I'm sure), but it may be a bracket or the shieding around your fuel tank, hell it may be a loose bolt that s vibrating and echoeing through the chasis. Theres a lot of stuff and if it bothers you enough, you'll find it. Just be patient. I've never had this issue just trying to throw out some ideas you may, or may not have thought of.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Definantly sounds like a metallic ring. Something on your car is vibrating in harmony with youre exhaust at whatever rpm your holding it at in the video. It doesn't necessarily have to be an exhaust component. Look for anythig loose on your car and just start grabbing stuff while it's doing it (assuming youre intelegent enough to not grab hot stuff I'm sure), but it may be a bracket or the shieding around your fuel tank, hell it may be a loose bolt that s vibrating and echoeing through the chasis. Theres a lot of stuff and if it bothers you enough, you'll find it. Just be patient. I've never had this issue just trying to throw out some ideas you may, or may not have thought of.
Thats kinda the approach I have been taking, seems like it can be anything though, has me very frusterated. I does only do it at around 1K rpm with no load on the engine. When the engine is loaded durrign drivign I hear it every so often.

I have been playing with it a little more tonight. I put a floor jack under the exhaust junction where it splits back in two right by the rear passenger side hanger. I put just enough pressure under the piping to move it as far away from that panhard bar brace as possible and the jingling was gone. I stuffed some split heater hose in between the brace and the pipe. I already had one piece, now there are three. Thats pretty damn ghetto, but it seems to be working, I could not get it to jingle. Should I dent the pipe in this area like the factory catback or just keep using the ruber hose, replacing it as it wears down?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know some guys run some high temp rubber hose near their big Y pipes to stop any banging...I would just tuck it up and secure it. yes, a little ghetto, but nothing like a nice look ride with an audible problem for people to gawk at.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Can you hear it if you were to bang on the exhaust with a rubber mallet or dead blow?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

My car used to do that. I hit everything with a mallet and it always made that noise. I tried the tranny mount (which I found a bolt on top of. wtf?), the exhaust mounts, the exhaust flanges, everything. It was my secondary O2 sensor on the driver's side so I just unhooked both of them and stuffed o2 plugs in their place. No more rattle!

Edit: The rattle seemed to be worse at cold idle and light, low-speed acceleration (still in the stock torque converter slack range under 25mph)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its the o2 sensors...... bet my paycheck on it
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it does sound like something small and tin like rattling. i would check the shield type things that are on the o2's see if they spin, wiggle or any movement. just seems tin like to me.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could have a bad muffler. The baffle in the muffler could have came loose inside the welds let loose. Are durango did that. super irritating anf no way to fix it but replace it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Threads 9 months old...I'm sure he's found the problem by now.