Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1 bar map sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 bar map sensor?

I have a stock 5.3 blowthrough setup running 8 lbs in my falcon, question I have is can I use a stock 1 bar map to pull timing down to say 13-14 degrees at 0 vaccum? I ask because I have have it just ramped down at the moment which is obviously not great for driveablilty. I know a 2 bar would be the way to go but I have the 1 bar and I'm just getting it safely driveable at the moment. Also if someone had a graph setup like this or could walk me through setting up the map that would be helpful. Thank you in advance. Brian
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I am missing something here, but map sensor reads pressure/boost not adjust timing. In a nut shell, the map sensor has nothing to do with ignition. What are you using to tune with? Assuming your fuel injected and not carburated. Also, 1 bar doesn't read boost...atmospheric pressure only.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Msd 6010 and its carbd. You can tune the curve based off what the map sees. Basically I would be using it like an na application just want it to drop timing at 0 vaccum not before.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 63falcon
Msd 6010 and its carbd. You can tune the curve based off what the map sees. Basically I would be using it like an na application just want it to drop timing at 0 vaccum not before.
Oh okay, that makes sense. You might be able to drop timing at 0 vaccum.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

a 1 bar will only read vacuum right up to atmospheric. ie zero boost on gauge. It will not register anything over atmospheric. ie positive pressure on boost gauge.

Does the MSD software allow you to configure load sites or use different map sensors ? To allow you to build a proper timing map.

So whilst you could use it like that and run low timing most of the time, it would be a pretty crap way to do it.

Quick Reply: 1 bar map sensor?