Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo kmember, alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo kmember, alignment?

Went to get my car aligned after a turbo kmember install, went to a reputal alignment shop and one I've been very happy with every time, got a call a min ago sayin he cant adjust caster/camber cause the new kmember dosnt have a hole in it for his tool to hook too, I told him if he can get it the best he can that would be ok with me, and he said he could get it better then it is (and it was pretty bad lol) but not perfect, which ice seen him get perfect, anywas, any ones else ever exp a probpem or know if there's a secret to this, thanks

Btw on my phone at work so did a quick search but
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a special tool shops use to draw the tire in or push it out on the 4th gens. The problem is that the holes are only in the factory k-member and a-arms that allow you to use the specific tool. When using an aftermarket tubular k-member and a-arms you can't use the tool. I have seen guys do alignments and use a prybar to make adjustments. An experienced alignment guy will find a way to make it work. Here is a picture of the tool alignment shops would use with a factory k-member and a-arms.
Attached Thumbnails turbo kmember, alignment?-alignment-tool.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like the guy is an idiot...lol I do alignments on 4th gen f body with or without aftermarket k members all the time without the "tools" its not very hard....
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, he is being lazy. Especially if everything is new it should move VERY easy. Pry bar with a cloth around it, lift it up and move by hand, soft dead blow hammer. it could easily be done...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Well I got the car back and talked to him and asked how well he was able to get it and he said i got it, its good to go, went out and looked at it and looked great tires don't have the jdm look anymore look very striaght etc, well after a few days of driving I've noticed somethings, car kinda "floats" down the road, dosnt oull just kinda feels wonder ish, feels like my mud truck on bias tires lol, ight that's kinda weird but what ever, well now that I've cornerd with it and all, the handlings garbage, corners I could cruise around at a decent speed no problem, now it squeels tires which its never done before and understeers like no other, so that I'm kinda annoyed with, yet I havnt drivin it since new kmemeber or rack and pinion till now, these are things I've thought of, I've checked air pressure and all, same as before

could the kmember be that much lighter then old that its not gripping as well? I've noticed a slight hight diff in front fender gap but very slightly

Could the caster be off that bad which is giving that wonder feel and bad turning?

Any suggestions apreciated, I only paid $58 for the alignment and told him do the best he could so i can't really go back at him, but I didn't think it be this bad
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It really sounds like you need to find a good reputable alignment shop. The additional ride height could be caused from the lower a-arms being tightened down with the a-arms hanging unloaded. It just sounds like the guy did whatever he could to get the camber right and gave the car back to you.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ight, then all this sounds like alignment based problems, time to find another alignment shop lol, this guy has done me good before and other friends but I think he's more old school and factory setup stuff, thanks for the input guys!

And I looked at the car now after lunch and it looks more settled in hieght and i did tighten up the bolts with out a load on them so
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
It really sounds like you need to find a good reputable alignment shop. The additional ride height could be caused from the lower a-arms being tightened down with the a-arms hanging unloaded. It just sounds like the guy did whatever he could to get the camber right and gave the car back to you.
High Kyle, I actualy just installed my complete front suspension i bought direct from you guys. Im also in the st.pete/tampa area, can you please refer me to a few excellent reputible shops i can take the car to to get everything aligned? Thanks, Derek!

Quick Reply: turbo kmember, alignment?