Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What rear end for daily driver / casual racer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What rear end for daily driver / casual racer

So I was at the track yesterday and messed something up in my rear end. I am not sure what yet, but I wanted to start seeing what I should look for if I end up buying a whole new rear end. My car is M6 with full basic bolt ons. Nothing crazy. Future plans will eventually be heads/cam but that might not be for a long time. In either case I never plan to exceed 450 wheel. This car is my daily driver throughout the summer, I will put on about 7500 miles a year. I go to the track only a few times a year, but that is (was) limited because I was always scared about breaking the rear end. So anyway, I am quite the newb when it comes to rear ends, so I wanted to get everyones opinion on what to do if I need to replace. My #1 concern is a quiet rear end. I rather sacrifice some launch for a day to day quiter rear end. But I also want to be able to launch this car on drag radials without being scared of it breaking. I also want to keep everything else as stock as possible, stock lenght and keep abs/tcs. Can anything out there meet my needs?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get you some lower control arms for about $100 and relocation brackets to eliminate wheel hop. Then if you are keepin the 7.5 girdle it and try to get a torsen posi unit to strengthen the center section...id also get a new ring n pinion for spare bc that 10 bolt wont last long
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000whitevert
Get you some lower control arms for about $100 and relocation brackets to eliminate wheel hop. Then if you are keepin the 7.5 girdle it and try to get a torsen posi unit to strengthen the center section...id also get a new ring n pinion for spare bc that 10 bolt wont last long
The car already has adj LCA, LCA reloc. brackets, adj PHB, and an adj TA. I already rebuilt this useless 10 bolt once which ended up to be the biggest waste of money ever. I am not interested in fixing this 10 bolt, looking for aftermarket choices, like a moser 9". But like I said I don't know enough on the subject to know which to pick without spending too much since I do not need anything crazy on my DD.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm looking for the same thing, my research points me away from the moser M9 though. It's a tough as nails rear but folks aren't recommending it for daily driving, they are never particularly clear why though.

I was thinking a traditional ford 9 with the same style differential the 10bolt in my 02 WS6 has as I like the way it feels around corners.

That moser M9 is so tempting though...it should last forever and just bolts in...the torque arm has a slip joint on it so I bet removing it for maintenance is a piece of cake!

Anybody have any daily driver street experience with the Moser M9?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Look into the Strange S60. It bolts right in and will handle anything the M6 can throw at it. Stranges' 12 bolt also bolts right in and even uses the stock driveshaft, although at that point the driveshaft becomes the weak link and should be replaced with a stronger unit for racing anyways. Strange sources their mount brackets from the same place GM does so there's no issues with anything not fitting right.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by udienow
So I was at the track yesterday and messed something up in my rear end. I am not sure what yet, but I wanted to start seeing what I should look for if I end up buying a whole new rear end. My car is M6 with full basic bolt ons. Nothing crazy. Future plans will eventually be heads/cam but that might not be for a long time. In either case I never plan to exceed 450 wheel. This car is my daily driver throughout the summer, I will put on about 7500 miles a year. I go to the track only a few times a year, but that is (was) limited because I was always scared about breaking the rear end. So anyway, I am quite the newb when it comes to rear ends, so I wanted to get everyones opinion on what to do if I need to replace. My #1 concern is a quiet rear end. I rather sacrifice some launch for a day to day quiter rear end. But I also want to be able to launch this car on drag radials without being scared of it breaking. I also want to keep everything else as stock as possible, stock lenght and keep abs/tcs. Can anything out there meet my needs?
The S60 fills your needs and then some.

Give Me a call or a pm if You would like to find out more.

Thank You,
Carl