Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Help, PLEASE!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Help, PLEASE!

Hi Guys,

I have done HOURS of searching and cannot find anyone with the same situation as me. I drive a 2000 WS6 M6 and here is some background

I had to pull the axles to replace the axle bearings on both sides. My rear end was perfectly quiet/functioning at this point (88k miles and regularly changed the fluid). The C-Clips were a PITA and the passenger side took some finagling (plus the help of a hammer and prying it out). After all was said and done, I put everything back together and filled the rear with fluid and drove away.

Here's the issue(s):

Now, after replacing the bearings, 3 different things happen.

1. when coasting/decelerating in gear the rear whines/howls much more than ever before.

2. when at operating temp sometimes shifting into gear is rough, almost feels like the diff is loose? slight metal on metal grinding or creaking sound until clutch is fully let out

3. between 55-65 under acceleration, everything is fine BUTTTT if i let off the gas the entire car vibrate as if I was going over a rumble strip.

Here's the kicker....the other day it was wet outside and in 1st gear I gave it gas to spin the tires freely until about 4500RPMs - immediately following that rapid spinning of the diff....everything was perfect for the next 2-3 minutes. None of the issues I have been experiencing were present. I let the car sit over night and tried again this morning and the noises are back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like you could have a Torsen on the fritz, or a possible u joint loose or broken perhaps? I'd give everything a good once over under there.

Search this Thread