Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

had ticking noise.... now went away??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had ticking noise.... now went away??

ok to start with i changed my oil today. ran same oil ive ran in car befor with no issues. and went for a a little drive and ran into a vw gti. so we ran from a 50 up to about 90 and i shut it down, pulled off and shut car off and started to talk to the guy. the car was fine when i shut it off. Upon start up it had a ticking sound from the drivers side( no it wasnt piston slap) and car still seemed to run fine and everything else. half way home it just stoped and everything sounded fine. let car cool off and started it again about 40-45 min after i got home and nothing idled a quite as it always has.Could this be a lifter issue and could it be related to the new oil in anyway?? im just worried that its a rod or somthing but thats somthing that would not go away right?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust leak?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

no its was comming from the motor. i just dont know if it was a minor thing or somthing i should be really worried about.... guess ill just have to see what tomarrow brings,
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00Z28 ls1
no its was comming from the motor. i just dont know if it was a minor thing or somthing i should be really worried about.... guess ill just have to see what tomarrow brings,
I've dealt with what I would consider excessive valvetrain noise for quite some time myself. I've always had a feeling as though there was something wrong. I also suspected that it was possibly a bent rod. Went though that and found nothing. Still replaced with some stockers. Noise still there. Too lazy to follow through with anything else since. Car still runs strong to this day but I'm sure something isn't right. So...I've decided it's time to deal with it and figure out whats going on and I'm starting out with a compression and vacuum test. I would suggest the same to you. If you find there to be some suspicion of damage based upon these then you should probably further it by running a leakdown test to help pinpoint what you are dealing with.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

car ran great with no ticking or anything today... hmm guess im lucky for now. its weird to me that it happend for about 25 min and then just stoped.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Trust your gut.