Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak at header

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak at header

Having a problem with an exhaust leak at the header on my c5. I have mls gaskets on there now and its leaking at the bottom portion of all 4 ports. I purchased new ones and they arent sealing either, so the next idea is to put some copper rtv on there. I may also loosen where it slips into the x pipe and see if it will slide in a little more maybe causing flange to sit flatter against the head. Anyone else ever had this problem because its really starting to **** me off.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only time i've had a problem similar to that is because something was in the way of the primaries not letting the header swing over and sit where it needs to. this might be your xpipe or exhaust or whatever..i dunno, not there to see it.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What brand of headers are you running?

I would also loosen everything after the headers and bolt the headers on nice and tight - then tighten up the rest of the system.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

the copper rtv is a good idea might wanna look into some locking header bolts
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive put locking headers bolts and never worry about an exhaust leak again. I just used new OEM header gaskets.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem when I installed my headers, they were leaking very bad from the gasket at the head. I was using the revised gm 13mm bolts and I don't know if it was them or the flange thickness difference from the stock manifolds but they were bottoming out without fully tightening the header. I put a washer and lock washer on each bolt to shorten them up a little and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Troy5061
I had the same problem when I installed my headers, they were leaking very bad from the gasket at the head. I was using the revised gm 13mm bolts and I don't know if it was them or the flange thickness difference from the stock manifolds but they were bottoming out without fully tightening the header. I put a washer and lock washer on each bolt to shorten them up a little and haven't had a problem since.
I might have to try that, I also have a spare block I can see how deep they run and measure the flange thickness to see if that could be the problem

Originally Posted by Bramlok
What brand of headers are you running?

The cheap non stainless texas speed one, I got them for a good deal.

I would also loosen everything after the headers and bolt the headers on nice and tight - then tighten up the rest of the system.
Originally Posted by s346k
the only time i've had a problem similar to that is because something was in the way of the primaries not letting the header swing over and sit where it needs to. this might be your xpipe or exhaust or whatever..i dunno, not there to see it.
Im going to try and loosen where the collector meets into the x-pipe and maybe push it in more and tighten the header so it can sit where it wants to then the clamp on x-pipe.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak at header