Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pressure drop across intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pressure drop across intercooler

Guys did anyone measure pressure drop across IC? I've put "Ebay" 4" intercooler and get about 3-3.5psi pressure drop, at 14psi pre-IC I get about 11psi of boost after the intercooler. Seems too much for my current power level (somewhere around 500whp I guess).
Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's probably about right for the ebay ic. I have one too
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks. I haven't accurately measured it I guess, but when I was on the 7.5psi wastegate springs on mine, I measured 7psi at the intake manifold. So 0.5psi drop through the APS intercooler. I wonder why the ebay one is so bad? It actually looks fairly efficient.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

So? No one has actually measured?
I'm trying to understand is it worth upgrading to Treadstone 4.5" or not
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats not very efficient at all. almost 25% loss. Treadstones are much more efficient

Last edited by WheelsUp84z; 05-03-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

My thoughts exactly. I'll try to find some data, I don't believe no one has measured
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 AM
10 Second Club

they adviertise their TRST9 (built for vettes, fbodies, vipers etc) to have a 2 psi pressure drop at 1950 cfm (1300hp) I'd say thats pretty damn efficient
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's "vertical flow" intercooler, different beast...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM
10 Second Club

even the horizontal flow is only 1.5 psi @ 1k hp for the 4.5" thick one.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
even the horizontal flow is only 1.5 psi @ 1k hp for the 4.5" thick one.
Are you talking about "rated" or actual data? Cause my IC is rated at 0.1psi LOL
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Guys did anyone measure pressure drop across IC? I've put "Ebay" 4" intercooler and get about 3-3.5psi pressure drop, at 14psi pre-IC I get about 11psi of boost after the intercooler. Seems too much for my current power level (somewhere around 500whp I guess).
Are you sure your test was accurate ? That sounds very high for such a low overall boost and relatively low airflow

Are you using the same type of gauge, tapped into the pipe or end tank the same way ?, and also verified both gauges are comparable to each other ?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

That's the reason I ditched my ebay 4" ic.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Are you sure your test was accurate ? That sounds very high for such a low overall boost and relatively low airflow

Are you using the same type of gauge, tapped into the pipe or end tank the same way ?, and also verified both gauges are comparable to each other ?
There COULD be some minor leaks, but in general yes, I'm sure. It was differential pressure sensor MPX5050DP, one port before intercooler and one - after (along with MBC).
bad6as, anymore details?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vetal
one port before intercooler and one - after (along with MBC).
Elaborate on that ?

You cannot measure pressure on any fitting that is connected to a boost controller which effectively is an air leak so will show a reduced pressure.

it just doesnt make sense that given the area inside a 4" thick core for air to flow through, that it should post a huge restriction compared to say the 3" diameter pipe feeding it.

They may not cool very well, but the core tubes are generally quite open and should flow well, even if they dont cool well.

Before i upgraded my own DIY intercooler made up from two old cores, I had maybe only 1psi pressure drop across it, and it was a terrible design made from two smaller cores in series.
It did flow fine, it just didnt cool
A new much much larger dedicated single core with larger end tanks, and still pressure drop was similar, but now temperatures were almost halved.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Elaborate on that ?

You cannot measure pressure on any fitting that is connected to a boost controller which effectively is an air leak so will show a reduced pressure.

it just doesnt make sense that given the area inside a 4" thick core for air to flow through, that it should post a huge restriction compared to say the 3" diameter pipe feeding it.

They may not cool very well, but the core tubes are generally quite open and should flow well, even if they dont cool well.

Before i upgraded my own DIY intercooler made up from two old cores, I had maybe only 1psi pressure drop across it, and it was a terrible design made from two smaller cores in series.
It did flow fine, it just didnt cool
A new much much larger dedicated single core with larger end tanks, and still pressure drop was similar, but now temperatures were almost halved.
Yepp that might influence readings (that's why I specifically mentioned that I have MBC on the same port), but I don't think it can change readings considerably, MBC leaks only tiny tiny amount of air, and it's 5 feet away (I put it inside the cabin now).
But it's not surprise cheap ICs restrict flow actually
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

How you route the cold pipes contributes to pressure drop as well. Any unnecessary bends are going to increase pressure drop between turbo and manifold.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 AM
9 Second Club

You cannot use the same port as a pressure reference if there is an air leak on it, big or small.

it only takes a small leak on a small port to make a big difference. It's the very reason boost controllers work the way they do !
They give a false low pressure reading to the actuator.

re-do the test.

I'm not saying the ebay intercoolers are good. But there is no way they can be that bad. They simply have too much volume and airflow paths for them to offer such a huge restriction at such moderate airflow levels.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

You cannot use the same port as a pressure reference if there is an air leak on it, big or small.

it only takes a small leak on a small port to make a big difference. It's the very reason boost controllers work the way they do !
They give a false low pressure reading to the actuator.

re-do the test.

I'm not saying the ebay intercoolers are good. But there is no way they can be that bad. They simply have too much volume and airflow paths for them to offer such a huge restriction at such moderate airflow levels.
Technically its all the same pressure reference, since it is all connected to the manifold. Pressure would only really drop if the source of air couldn't support flow from the leak...but the turbo provides plenty of air
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Technically its all the same pressure reference, since it is all connected to the manifold. Pressure would only really drop if the source of air couldn't support flow from the leak...but the turbo provides plenty of air
Exactly! I could move MBC further up the pipe if someone doesn't want to accept the data I gathered, but I'm 99% positive it will not change readings. My MAP sensor and my Gtech both agree that boost is falling in top rpm range.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokeshow
It may do, but if that was the case boost controllers would never work. Strangely they do.

And I doubt the line to the MBC or pressure reference is a full 3" diameter from the turbo to receive the huge volume of air required to maintain pressure.

Quick Reply: Pressure drop across intercooler