Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

White Smoke Out of The Exhaust On cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke Out of The Exhaust On cold start up

Hey guys I was not sure where to post this so I figured I would ask the T/A Guys. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post it...

So My 1999 T/A, has been smelling like antifreeze when I start her in the mornings, for about a week. Now today when Started her she was puffing Lots of white smoke, and the Smoke smelled sweet so I figured it was anti freeze. So I brought it in the garage and pressure tested it and found out it was leaking very slowly but it was leaking non the less. We checked the oil and it was not milky. Also when the car is warm it does not puff or smell liked burned antifreeze at all. So we are gonna take the heads off tomorrow and see what is going on in there. I have a couple questions...
1. Does that sound like a headgasket or a cracked head? from the little info I have supplied.
2. I'm gonna need the torque spec for my head bolts and all that fun stuff so if anyone could direct me in the right way I would greatly appreciate it.
3. Is there anything I should do on the car when i have the top end apart besides for plugs?

The motor is completely stock and all i have is a K&N air filter in the stock airbox. I did check the codes and the I have a mis fire on one of the cylinders that is all the codes really had for me..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again guys
Mitch
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think you might ever have it apart again, I would look into using either ARP studs or head bolts as you can use them over and over unlike the GM TTY bolts.

How many miles are on the engine?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Teching In

There is 105xxx so it has lots of drive time that is for sure.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Teching In

So I got the heads off and I found out it was the head gasket. The metal was not gone on the gasket just the material.. I have never actually seen a gasket go like that before.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with the torque specs for the head bolts?

Also a quick question my heater core hose's are pretty bad and it is going to take 12 days to get them from the dealer ship with the price tag of 400 dollars... was wondering how likely they are to actually go?
Thanks again Mitch.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FasFlex
So I got the heads off and I found out it was the head gasket. The metal was not gone on the gasket just the material.. I have never actually seen a gasket go like that before.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with the torque specs for the head bolts?

Also a quick question my heater core hose's are pretty bad and it is going to take 12 days to get them from the dealer ship with the price tag of 400 dollars... was wondering how likely they are to actually go?
Thanks again Mitch.
I replaced mine with bulk heater hose from my local parts store. Imdidn't feel like spending more money on this car, and it is working great.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks a bunch guys I'm looking into getting the heater hose from the store.

That website is exactly what I needed Thank you so much I appreciate it so much.

Just a little info on where we are on the project.

We are waiting on head gaskets.. so we are kinda at a stand still.. But I am installing hooker long tube headers since everything is off already haha. So we got those in and ready to be hooked up.

We have the heads all cleaned up and the block and cylinders all cleaned up also so everything is ready to go back together.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 of 44
I'm bookmarking that!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Update: Got the motor back together tonight! finally after a long fight haha.

Ah got a question though.. I started her up and noticed My Oil pressure gauge is not working at all... So I was wondering if that could be something with my OPSU and if i installed it wrong.. If so is there any actual way of getting at it with out taking the bloody intake off again? But she starts runs great no leaks I only have the headers on.. So I'm running it with open headers She sure does sound nice haha. But I ran outta time tonight so i will finish the y pipe install tomorrow and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: White Smoke Out of The Exhaust On cold start up