Sponsored by:

Rod Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rod Question...

Hi All,

Although I'm relatively new to LS motors, I've built close to a dozen other motors. I recently got a killer deal on an almost complete LS-1 that was sold with the warning that it had low compression in one hole and a lot of trash in the pan. After tearing it down, the only oddities I've found were: #1 intake lifter was different than the other 15, #7 exhaust valve seal was MIA, number 7 rod had "7" stamped into the shank (no others were numbered), and all of the rod bearings were so loose the inserts literally fell out of the rod and cap! Pistons and rods are stock but it has ARP 8740 rod bolts. Absolutely no bearing crush at all, I'm guessing that's not normal? The previous owner had removed and cleaned the pan, screen, and oil pump. All the journals looked good, the rod bearing shells (STD) were "OK" other than being loose, and the mains bearing shells (STD) had some signs of particle embedding but the journals were good. ASSuming the rods aren't junk, I could get it back together for the cost of new bearings...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow all that is pretty odd. So had this motor been run like this or did someone just build it real quick and then sell it? I would take the rods to your machinist and see if they are still good and so forth. crazy.
mind if i ask how much you payed for this motor?
are you planning on reusing everything that is still good?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Anybody else? These are the early rods with pressed pins. The ARP bolts do not have any locator collars so the cap fit is pretty sloppy. Are the bearing shells supposed to be loose ? ? ?

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
wow all that is pretty odd. So had this motor been run like this or did someone just build it real quick and then sell it? I would take the rods to your machinist and see if they are still good and so forth. crazy.
mind if i ask how much you payed for this motor?
are you planning on reusing everything that is still good?
Yup, it was in a road race F-body that got a whole new "bullet". So far, everything appears to be usable awaiting word on the rods. The cam will prolly go into my 427 L-92. I'd rather not say on the $$$ because I may be selling parts off it here...
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

forgive me if im wrong but are you saying that when you pull the rod apart the half claim shells just fall out of the rod cap and rod? I have never seen them that loose. The ones i have taken out or put in fit nice and snug. not real snug, just snug. although if they have assembly lube on them sometimes the claim shells will stick to the crank when you pull the rod apart. There should be some degree of crush. if not the something is wrong
Maybe the Rods were improperly re sized for the arp bolts.

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 05-11-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the rods where re-sized and then std bearings where installed.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes and as far as the inserts , normally everyone that has posted on here that put ARP rod bolts in has removed the inserts because the bolts won't fit in the inserts unless You file the lip at 1 end and maybe just a little of the inner diameter then they'll fit ,,,,,,,,,ask Me how I know ? Yes I'd either be measuring those rod big end inner diameter or sending them to be measured and magnafluxed ,,,,,,,,,,,etc
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I have no history on this motor, but my guess would be there was no resizing done when the ARP's were installed. I've never seen a set of rods where the bearings just fall out, so I'll be dropping them of for further checking. Still can't figure why the bearings look as good as they do with them not fitting correctly...