LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need to relocate my brake/fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need to relocate my brake/fuel lines

As the title states. I am a complete novice to doing stuff like this. I would like to go with 6AN braided stainless, but thats about all the lingo i know. Want to route them both to the outer side of the car. What fittings do i need? tools? mounting hardware? Does anyone have any write-ups?

Need to get this done so I fit my UMI torque arm (I have true duals and I already "modified" the stock lines somewhat to clear them which is why they are in the way now, and the UMI torque arm is hitting both)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta start somewhere! Although, here are a few thoughts.

Fuel Lines - AFAIK you can pretty much do what you want here. Aeromotive, I believe, makes a decent braided kit that can be installed on LT1 without many modifications.

Brake Lines - You do not want to use braided lines to do the whole run from the master cylinder/ABS block to the calipers. I've researched the heck out of this and was going to go the same route. Essentially, using braided, the lines will have a bit of expansion to them whereas with hard lines, there is no expansion and all the brake pressure is transmitted to the caliper. Custom Tube makes all the lines/fittings you will need to do a custom job.

Tools - For starters, any AN work I can't really help you with as I haven't done much. I'm sure basic handtools and AN wrenches are a must though. For hardline work you will need a tubing bender, tubing cutter, flare tool and basic wrenches.

As for technique, I would definitely practice on extra tubing before doing your brake lines. Get your flares perfect. Get your cuts perfect. We are talking about brakes here, so there is a high degree of perfection required to ensure safety.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have and added question. I'm fixing to be doing abs delete and I'm wondering what size brake lines are in the car so I'll know which flaring tool to use.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fixerTA
I have and added question. I'm fixing to be doing abs delete and I'm wondering what size brake lines are in the car so I'll know which flaring tool to use.
Single 1/4" for the rear, 3/16" for the two fronts (if 3-channel ABS).
Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need to relocate my brake/fuel lines