LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Opti Vs. GM Opti Vs. Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Opti Vs. GM Opti Vs. Coil Packs

So I am on a quest to figure out the idle problem on my 1996 Impala SS. I just got done replacing all of the vacuum lines, spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and had the computer tuned. I still have a miss in the idle which to me says OPTISPARK since the car has 85k on the clock. My question is, what is the difference between the MSD optispark and the billet MSD optispark? Does MSD make a better optispark than GM? If the billet MSD optispark is best, how does it compare to a coil pack setup since the price is about the same? Any answers would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

To run coil packs you still need a good opti because it uses the optical sensor. Between the 2 i really don't know I am going with the gm unit. only advantage the MSD seems to offer is the timing advance and retard
Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no such thing as a MSD optispark, only the MSD Pro Billet optispark

It is a WAY better piece. Look at this
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9367
Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to say the MSD unit. Because its cheaper than a coil pack setup,and also better than a stock unit.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
only advantage the MSD seems to offer is the timing advance and retard
Correction, that is about the only useless feature it has.

In many other areas, it has clear advantages over the stock unit.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to agree, +-7 degrees is hardly enough, plus you have to mod the timing cover to even attempt to adjust the timing.
Also the computer controls timing in idle and off idle so its pointless there again.

You have to rev it to like 1500rpm to see the adjustment work
Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe i just dont understand but how are you going to adjust timing with that anyway? crank car, check timing, turn off, rotate cap, repeat? I bought a deltec setup for about the same price as a msd opti. i think i bought the bare bones kit and then bought new coils from a guy on ebay. i believe with the shitty wires, which i dont recommend, it was ~550.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
To run coil packs you still need a good opti because it uses the optical sensor.
I have seen one model (can't remember the model but I found the link in this forum) that has an opti eliminator for an extra charge. When search is working again, you can probably find it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually to adjust the timing its a screw in the top of the cap that moves the opti sensor radially around the optical disk. and you do it the same as with a regular distributor with a timing light
Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
actually to adjust the timing its a screw in the top of the cap that moves the opti sensor radially around the optical disk. and you do it the same as with a regular distributor with a timing light
Using which timing marks?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm very interesting, I am alos very interested in a Opti for my car. I keep hearing so many people saying get this one, then other people saying no don't get that one. I don't even know what to get! With coils you still need a reliable optical trigger. which means you pretty much need a new opti, right? well I hear Accel sucks, and not to get it. OEM sucks, MSD sucks, they all pretty much suck I am starting to think. But when I get one I think I will either get a MSD or a GM unit. GM units might have the tightest tollerances, but MSD makes really good ignitions. And being broke like I am, I may end up with a new GM unit. My car has 125,000 on the original, has ignition problems anytime it gets a little moist out. But it has lasted so long, while other people on here say their aftermarket ones crap out within 30,000mi. I think this is where most peoples confussion lies. I have to say that is at least the case with myself...
This just makes me want to take out a loan, buy an LSX block and go nuts!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I made the upgrade to the LTCC coil-per cylender system. It was kinda costly and some effort but I for one say it's a worthwhile investment. The car seems to run better. I don't know if there's any power increase but getting the high voltage away from the opti solves some problems inherent to the design. I'm running a GM opti. Use factory LS2/6 coils, 12558948. The cheapest I found then is at Rockauto for 45 bucks each. Make your own brackets and coil wires.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/651634-ltcc.html
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned

Thanks for all of the info guys! I really appreciate it!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

I never knew that the LTCC and Delteq require a working optispark also. Seems like a waste to pay that much and still rely on an optispark.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I have seen one model (can't remember the model but I found the link in this forum) that has an opti eliminator for an extra charge. When search is working again, you can probably find it.
Does anyone know anything about the "opti eliminator" that koolaid_kid mentioned?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

From my understanding the delteq is what most do and still you use the opti as a crank trigger more or less. I use a new GM opti because of many reasons. It took the biggest Ign. company 12 years to produce a opti that would even work and it still has some issues. Others on the market are a complete hit or miss. (same as stock). But I've had great luck with my new Delco so i'm not changing yet. Good ol Ed Wright makes 530rwhp on a stock GM opti and Spins it over 7K to run 9's everytime. Sure he's spun the rotor off a few times but it's a race car using a stock part.....**** happens
Old 04-04-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andrews_Motorsports
Does anyone know anything about the "opti eliminator" that koolaid_kid mentioned?

The comany is Delteq.The got the standard model with 4 coils and rely on the opti sensor.

They also been working(this is what they said)for 3 years on a model that cancel the opti totally but i really dont think its gonna coming out soon...
Old 04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

Does anyone know where to buy the Delteq or LTCC system? I can't find an online seller of their products.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

the optical part of the optispark distributor is actually very well designed and very reliable, if you take the high voltage out of the equation the optical trigger lasts quite a while, what usually goes bad is the cap and rotor
Old 04-05-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i ve just bougth a complete delteq kit.Ive done some research and wanted a plug and play sytem with no spider web wire so th ltcc was a no no.

Here are the fact about the opti that i ve found on there websites.The 2 last paragraph is showing exactly why there is so much trouble with th opti :

Why does the Opti-Spark Design Need Improvement?

In theory, the Opti-Spark design is good. In fact, high-resolution engine speed sensing leads to extremely accurate ignition timing, and was a rare occurrence even on high-dollar sports cars back in 1992. In practice however, quite a few things are problematic with GM's execution of the Opti-Spark distributor.

First and foremost, there are the typical wear, heat, and moisture problems associated with a distributor cap and rotor. Since most Chevrolet V8 engines feature an easily accessible rear-mounted distributor, it is not a big deal to change the cap and rotor every 50,000 miles (or sooner in high performance applications). Plus, the availability of standard-style cap and rotor assemblies makes them extremely cheap. These facts do NOT hold true for engines with the Opti-Spark distributor.

From an accessibility standpoint, both the water pump and the crank pulley need to be removed in order to gain access to a failed Opti-Spark distributor. On Camaros and Firebirds in particular, this is not a quick (or fun) job.

From a reliability standpoint, the environment at the front of the engine is notoriously harsh for things like heat, water, and debris (not to mention other variables like leaky front crank seals and worn, leaking water pumps!), but the Opti-Spark distributor is not even sealed on 1992-1994 models! Later versions of the Opti-Spark incorporate a seal and venting provision, but are by no means free of problems.

From a cost standpoint, the Opti-Spark units can retail for well over $400, depending on model year. Dealers have been heard to quote over $1000 (parts and labor) to replace this item!

To add insult to injury, the Opti-Spark distributor uses a "Correct-a-Cap" design that places the spark plug wire terminals on the proper side of the engine for easy spark plug wire routing. To do this, the terminal traces molded into the distributor cap must come extremely close to one another, which leads to premature arc-over in high-load applications and applications using constant high-voltage (Capacitive Discharge) ignitions. Not good.

But not all is defective on the Opti-Spark distributor. Inherently, the optical sensors are fairly robust. For most applications, the sensors are not the cause of most problems. To prove this fact, Mitsubishi manufactures the Opti-Spark sensors, and variations on these same sensors can be found on most late model Mitsubishi and Nissan applications. Reliability problems with the optical sensors on the Nissan and Mitsubishi vehicles are simply not present in anywhere near the same quantity as the LT1 and L99 engines. This would suggest that the main problems with the Opti-Spark distributor are not the sensors, but the cap and rotor.

Quick Reply: MSD Opti Vs. GM Opti Vs. Coil Packs