Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a professional tune worth it with just bolt on upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a professional tune worth it with just bolt on upgrades?

I have an 01 z28 t56. SLP intake, ported and polished stock tb, ls6 intake, long tube headers with true dual 3 inch exhaust with small mufflers. Would it be worth it to get a professional tune done? There is a very reputable tuner who does dyno tunes nearby. Would it be worth it and what could I get out of the car with a tune?
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

If they are a good tuner you'll notice a difference. LT Headers need a tune to get dialed in right.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts

10’ish horsepower maybe?
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,698 Likes on 1,217 Posts

If you are done with modifications, at least for the foreseeable future, then I would definitely suggest getting a tune to get the most out of the setup. If you plan other mods in the foreseeable future, I would just wait and get it all done at once.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
10’ish horsepower maybe?
20+ wheel easily with them mods if it's still a stock tune in the PCM. If you saw how under-tuned these cars are from the factory you'd know what I mean.
Old Today, 01:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
20+ wheel easily with them mods if it's still a stock tune in the PCM. If you saw how under-tuned these cars are from the factory you'd know what I mean.
Yep - 20+ for sure plus so much more torque in the mid-range - power under the curve.

Another option is to buy a tuning suite and learn to do it yourself. I did that years ago, but back then, there was a repository of tunes online that you could match with your mods to give you a baseline. It's a steeper climb these days.

Nonetheless, it gives you the opportunity to continuously modify your tune till you get it where YOU want it, rather than having to be satisfied with someone else's interpretation of your goals.
Old Today, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you are done with modifications, at least for the foreseeable future, then I would definitely suggest getting a tune to get the most out of the setup. If you plan other mods in the foreseeable future, I would just wait and get it all done at once.
Originally Posted by the_merv
20+ from the tune alone? Or are y’all saying the headers plus the tune equal more than twenty? Example- headers were good for fifteen and the tune “squeezed” another five out of it. When I first got Camaro I was googling around looking at dynos for long tubes on stock motors & it seems likes most stock were gaining around 15’ish horsepower. I remember it being on the lower side to where the “bang for buck meter” wasn’t that good. Cars with cams saw a bigger gain though.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; Today at 09:12 AM.
Old Today, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

You literally quoted my post that answered what you just asked.

Quick Reply: Is a professional tune worth it with just bolt on upgrades?