Sponsored by:

Random troubleshooting question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Random troubleshooting question

Folks,
I have a cammed LQ9 w/243 heads stuffed in my 02 WS6... chasing down a miss on the driver's side.
At first I was convinced I was screwing up the tuning since I'm new to tuning, but now I'm sure there's something electrical or mechanical.

I've pulled all the plugs and regapped them. I've tested each coil and wire with a spark plug tester from Harbor Freight.
Question: Do coils fail hard, or do they degrade and if they degrade, is there a way to tell?

If I have a faulty/stuck injector, wouldn't there be a code for that? If not, how can i test them?

I'm 99% sure the valvetrain is good; no metal on metal sounds or anything like that, but it's clearly a miss on the driver's side.
I was looking for a different issue a while back and had the cover off bumping the starter, so i know the valvetrain looks decent and the rockers are doing what they're supposed to.
Pulling a wire at the coil pack just makes it arc back to the coil and doesn't change the idle somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Jim

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

You can disable injectors, one at a time and see if the idle speed drops evenly, per cylinder to isolate the miss.
There are defective NEW IN BOX Spark plugs on occasion.
Lot of counterfeit knock-offs in the supply chain.
Once you isolate cylinderr mis-fire, replace spark plug with a GOOD one, ie a spark plug that DOES fire other cylinders.
Swap coil(s) similar.
Look for ignition coil wires chafed/ rubbed through and contacting coil mount bracket, heard of that causing trouble.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Thank Full Power. I know I have spark getting to the plugs, but obviously can't tell if those are firing.... not sure if the spark is enough nor how to tell but that doesn't sound like what i should be chasing.

Shouldn't I be getting codes coming up on particular cylinders to reflect what I'm hearing and feeling?
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Stuck open Injector you'll have a Plug covered in gas when you take it out. That or it won't look like the others will. Running lean it'll be really white.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Yeah getting none of that, nor white plugs either.
I swapped all 4 driver side plugs with 4 older plugs just to test it out and it's exactly the same.
So looks like spark isn't the issue.

How do I check the injectors?
I was only able to pull the front 2 injector connectors; neither felt like there was discernible difference in idle.
Do I need to pull the entire fuel rail off and/or essentially take off the entire intake?

I can't believe spark wasn't a problem
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 323 Likes on 220 Posts

Do you know which cylinder is actually missing?
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Launching!

no, that's what i can't figure out... i'm not getting any codes, but it's a pretty clear miss, and when you open the hood, it's 100% from the drivers side.. haven't gotten a mechanics' stethoscope or anything yet but that may be the next step.
Already checked entire spark path including replacing all plugs, so gotta be air or fuel, right?
I might just take off the entire intake the make sure the gaskets are all good, plus it's easier to get the fuel rail off there
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I'd pull a Valve Cover and look at the Valve Train. Intake side with the Lifter collapsed will do the same.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Launching!

I did that earlier this week.. valve cover off, jumped the starter relay. All the rocker movements looked good and smooth. Nothing stuck or any jagged movements.. i felt the rocker movements up top and everything was operating smoothly.
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Have you moved a Coil?
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 323 Likes on 220 Posts

If you don't have anything else, buy or borrow an IR heat gun and check each exhaust port on all the cylinders. You have to get a definitive answer on which cylinder is missing then go from there. Otherwise your just pi$$ing in the wind.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (Today)

Quick Reply: Random troubleshooting question