Sponsored by:

Glide or 400? No prep

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Glide or 400? No prep

Hey guys,

I've been trying to decide if I want a glide with a 1.8o or a 2.48 400 with a second gear leave option for no prep and back half racing. Im worried the 2.48 will be too much of a hit off the line but maybe the 1.80 would not be enough. The extra shift from the 400 may upset the car on a really bad track. But could et faster if the track comes around. The glide is lighter and simpler, more consistent. Price for either is about the same. Let me know what you think!

98 Camaro 3200lbs with driver
550 wheel on motor and about 470 tq
200-300 spray with controller
3.70 gears (can be changed)
28x10.5 slick
True street class
Peak power at 7k, peak tq at 5k.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I love seeing someone else building a car for No Prep!

I have the same goal for my build but I went Procharged.

I have a th400 in mine because I still run mine on the street a lot so like that extra gear.
Im not overly worried about the extra shift with hopes that it will et faster and I can keep the car tamed with the shock setup
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,362 Posts

For an all out drag car it's hard to beat a glide.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not sure what no-prep means, but from a builder's perspective this may be useful:

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 539 Likes on 401 Posts

for no prep i think a 1-2 leave 400 is a more flexible choice. no prep means different things on different tracks and being able to leave in first or second is another tuning tool you will have on top of leave rpm and whatever else you use.
i have a 400 with a ati 1-2 brake and run hard tire. at my local track, orlando speedworld, the no prep events will still pull your shoes off at the 60' so i leave in first but i can also leave off the brake in second on the street by my house and hook.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
for no prep i think a 1-2 leave 400 is a more flexible choice. no prep means different things on different tracks and being able to leave in first or second is another tuning tool you will have on top of leave rpm and whatever else you use.
i have a 400 with a ati 1-2 brake and run hard tire. at my local track, orlando speedworld, the no prep events will still pull your shoes off at the 60' so i leave in first but i can also leave off the brake in second on the street by my house and hook.
With most of these big no-prep events they all will tack up nice after a few passes. War in the Woods this spring was greasy and loose then after hard tire it started to get sticky off the launch.
I like flexibility wherever I can get it. Especially with so many surfaces and types events there are out there
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 539 Likes on 401 Posts

we have a run what ya brung class and several cars that are basically pro mods show up
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
we have a run what ya brung class and several cars that are basically pro mods show up
Yeah that seems to be common even in small tire you get a few.
Thats why I like Street Car, Hard Tire and even the gangster 26s you are seeing more and more
Old Today, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

Thanks for the advise. I think I am leaning towards a th400. I'll have to call in to see if the builder can make me a forward pattern valve body with a clean neutral. Just preference.
Old Today, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
Thanks for the advise. I think I am leaning towards a th400. I'll have to call in to see if the builder can make me a forward pattern valve body with a clean neutral. Just preference.
I wouldn’t see why they couldn’t. My tranny guy just asks what is it I want and works his magic. I don’t think mine will engage the brake in 2nd so might be coming out this winter to get redone

Quick Reply: Glide or 400? No prep