LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT-1 Corvette & Caprice SS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT-1 Corvette & Caprice SS HELP

Hi, I'm new to the forum from England and need some advice.

I have a '94 LT-1 Corvette which is in need of a new block (which as you'll appreciate aren't too common over here), I've been offerered a complete LT-1 from a '96 Caprice SS, what I need to know is will the Caprice LT-1 fit into the Corvette.

I'm aware the Caprice and Corvette will have different auxillary mounting points, can these just be swapped over or is major maching work needed?

I'm also aware the Caprice will have iron heads whereas my Corvette's are ally but I can swap these over.

What else do I need to be aware of? and is this a viable swap?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech Jake!

Yes, the engine will drop right into the Corvette. The Corvette block will have four bolt main bearing caps, the Impala will most likely have two bolt caps. This will not affect the performance or reliability of what seems to be an otherwise stock engine. You'll want to swap the camshaft as well as the heads. I suggest a nice new timing chain, oil pump and optispark distributor.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've never heard of a Caprice SS, only the Impala SS. There is a big difference between the Caprice and the Impala engines even though they look similar. The Caprice uses the L99 265 cu.in. and the Impala uses the 350 cu.in. Make sure it's an Impala SS engine.

Last edited by lt1-xjs; 06-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Caprice SS has the deer badges and all it was just how they sometimes sold the Impala SS overseas as the "Impala" name was not known as well in some places as "Caprice", usually middle east but I don't know of any reason one couldn't have been sold in Europe..

The BASE engine in the standard Caprice was a 4.3L but the LT1 absolutely was an option and would have been standard on the Caprice SS, the f-body and Vette guys just hate that FACT and like to makeup bullshit to devalue the lowly Caprice and somehow that makes their cars more special.

The 4-bolt main thing is not an issue till you double stock HP at least.

The b-body motor has a vented opti I would take the opportunity to keep that, You will need to pull the timing cover and remove the CPS reluctor and install the Vette hub.

The cam thing is grossly overstated, in bolton for the b-body makes as much HP and torque as the f-body and Vette BUT starts making the torque sooner. I seriously think it might have been the Vette and f-body cam compromised to limit lowend toque with the f-bodies glass axle.
The iron heads will make the engine45lbs or so heavier and the compression is lower but they are also usually reported to flow a little better. If you want further performance and would consider porting the aluminum heads later you could consider leaving the iron heads alone for now and later port the aluminum heads and swap them on then for no downtime.
If this is a straight up repair go ahead and swap the heads over mostly to keep the weight off the front of the car.

The block is the same block the Vette was just drilled for more mainbolts.

You might consider using the 96 intake too as it might just match the heads better.

Be careful who you listen to, as we have seen guys post completely fictional "info" based on nothing more than the blind belief the b-body has to be somehow "lesser" than other models.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The Caprice SS has the deer badges and all it was just how they sometimes sold the Impala SS overseas as the "Impala" name was not known as well in some places as "Caprice", usually middle east but I don't know of any reason one couldn't have been sold in Europe..

The BASE engine in the standard Caprice was a 4.3L but the LT1 absolutely was an option and would have been standard on the Caprice SS, the f-body and Vette guys just hate that FACT and like to makeup bullshit to devalue the lowly Caprice and somehow that makes their cars more special.

The 4-bolt main thing is not an issue till you double stock HP at least.

The b-body motor has a vented opti I would take the opportunity to keep that, You will need to pull the timing cover and remove the CPS reluctor and install the Vette hub.

The cam thing is grossly overstated, in bolton for the b-body makes as much HP and torque as the f-body and Vette BUT starts making the torque sooner. I seriously think it might have been the Vette and f-body cam compromised to limit lowend toque with the f-bodies glass axle.
The iron heads will make the engine45lbs or so heavier and the compression is lower but they are also usually reported to flow a little better. If you want further performance and would consider porting the aluminum heads later you could consider leaving the iron heads alone for now and later port the aluminum heads and swap them on then for no downtime.
If this is a straight up repair go ahead and swap the heads over mostly to keep the weight off the front of the car.

The block is the same block the Vette was just drilled for more mainbolts.

You might consider using the 96 intake too as it might just match the heads better.

Be careful who you listen to, as we have seen guys post completely fictional "info" based on nothing more than the blind belief the b-body has to be somehow "lesser" than other models.
You do know your ****, but god do you sit on a high horse sometimes.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

look at the back of the block, upper left IIRC and if it is a LT1 vs a L99 it will have "5.7" cast into the block

as mentioned you will have to swap your existing timing cover, and hub as the 96 uses a crank trigger.

Harvest your accessory bracket and it will bolt right up.

your call on weather you want to use the AL heads vs the iron. stock B-body LT1 is 260 FWHP as the f-bodys/Vettes were 270 FWHP. Cams are diffrent as the heavier b-body made it TQ at lower RPM
Old 06-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the information thus far, it's REALLY helpful, I'm just waiting on the engine number from the seller so can check that it is definately an LT-1.

Apparently it's from a cop spec caprice, the engine comes with its 4L60E in the deal, although my gearbox is good, is the caprice box the same as the corvette one (thus worth keeping as a spare)?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The "cop spec" Caprice did NOT get any special LT1 and was available with the 4.3L engine.

Far as the "high horse" comment it just get really really old having to repeat the same old corrections to long time members year after year after year because so many of you do NOT want to learn. It is one thing to not know something, it is quite another to definitely state the blatantly wrong information.

I make mistakes too but I am happy for the opportunity to learn when I am corrected as I was in a recent O2 sim thread.

The tranny has more differences based on year than because of model. Look into what it takes to put a 96 tranny in a 94 then decide if you are willing to make the conversion should your tranny go out.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks, so its starting to sound like this isn't an LT1, thanks for sharing some knowledge with me, I'll get the VIN so I don't end up buying a dud.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I was figuring that the donor engine was a 5.7L LT1, not the 4.3L L99.

Good call everybody, to confirm the engine size.

I knew 99caprice would chime in, this is his realm of expertise.

Curious, Jake, is either of these cars right hand drive?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:01 PM

Hi, no they are both left hand drive, there are a few right hand drive conversions about but people tend to avoid, preferring a genuine imported left hand drive.

Just hoping this engine turns out to be an LT1 and not an L99 now.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I can't imagine any of these American cars in the Euro community. They have these "giant" 5.7 liter engines while everybody else runs around in 1.nothing liter three cylinder eggshells. My cousin down in Bournemouth thinks her Mini is huge. She almost fainted when I told her my "other" car's motor is 8.1 liters. Just wait till I bore it to 9.25L!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 AM

It is sadly starting to go the way of the one litre car in England, this is simply due to fuel costs, £6.10 a gallon is the average at present.

But don't write us off as a bunch of 'cubic inch' less petrolheads, don't forget we're still the birth place of the Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce..

What tends to happen now is instead of using our V8's as daily cars (as I did for 15+years) they become 'weekend toys', also as we only have 2 drag 'proper' strips in the UK most folk trailer their cars to the track to conserve the fuel expediture so we can keep running and racing V8's
Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ******
look at the back of the block, upper left IIRC and if it is a LT1 vs a L99 it will have "5.7" cast into the block

as mentioned you will have to swap your existing timing cover, and hub as the 96 uses a crank trigger.

Harvest your accessory bracket and it will bolt right up.

your call on weather you want to use the AL heads vs the iron. stock B-body LT1 is 260 FWHP as the f-bodys/Vettes were 270 FWHP. Cams are diffrent as the heavier b-body made it TQ at lower RPM
Actually, every LT1 corvette made was rated at 300hp even (to stroke the Corvette owner's ego ), then there was also the 315hp LT1 95' Firehawk, 305hp WS6 & SS 96-97 f-body's, 285hp for 96-97 F-bodys, 275hp 93-95 f-bodys, 260hp Caprice/Impala/Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

We have our share of Rolls Royce's here too. I saw this thing at a car show just yesterday. I think it's a 1909? Aluminum body.

Quick Reply: LT-1 Corvette & Caprice SS HELP