Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Protection

I've noticed many many threads and posts about cracked dashes, torn leather, and broken door panels.

My question is, how do your prevent this? I like keeping my car clean and out of the sun when possible and use a windshield visor every day. Are there any products that clean and protect these areas to prevent fading and weakening?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any product with no silicone and has some type of spf to protect it from sun.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Easy enough. Lol. Well what about scent? I like to keep that "new car smell" if possible.

And if you don't mind me asking, why no silicone? Does that make the color fade?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broken door panels are common, one thought is how the cloth/leather is stapled and the heating and cool is what makes it crack. NOT much you can do. Pry and keep in a temp controlled situation.

Leather, keep clean and moist. Most cleaners adds conditioning.

Dashes are the same way, out of the sun, cooler temps help greatly. U use Maguire's Ultimate Protectant, works great, leaves a good shine but on F bodies that is not as desirable due to windshield angle.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Used armor all for almost 4 years on my old 3.4l camaro and left it sit in the sun everyday (no garage space for it) and the dash never cracked and always had a good shine. Just use armor all once a week on all plastic surfaces. You'll be fine.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stored my TA during the winter and upon opening up for spring, I found that my door panel cracked. I guess it has more to do with the cold.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I've used armor all previously and had pretty good results, but I hear a lot (especially on this forum) that it causes some issues with fading and other discoloration.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT use armor all, don't even use it on your tires. Your interior/tires will rely on it. The color will fade quicker when you stop using it, and dries everything out. And when you do use it, it leaves everything greasy.

There are many other products out there that will do the job. I use Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant on my interior, seems to work pretty well and leaves a black sheen (not shine) and also has sun protection. Spraying it on a towel first to wipe it on the interior pieces works better than spraying it on, as it's pretty thick. I use Earth Technologies Tire Shine on my tires, it's water based and leaves a nice satin finish (I hate shiny unnatural tires). It's 100% biodegradable and doesn't leave driveway stains so that's an added plus.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Conrad, I like the way you think.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMixnMatch
I've noticed many many threads and posts about cracked dashes, torn leather, and broken door panels.

My question is, how do your prevent this? I like keeping my car clean and out of the sun when possible and use a windshield visor every day. Are there any products that clean and protect these areas to prevent fading and weakening?
I'm living in Ft. Irwin, Ca (aka.... a ***** hot desert). I use reflective windshield shades. Makes a HUGE difference in interior temp + minimizes sun reflection on the seats. I also have 15% tinted windows. I usually leave the windows 1/4 down (or more) to dissipate heat too.

I have used the black magic and turtle wax low shine products in the past with good results. I avoid armor-all at all costs. I've had bad results with that crap.

BTW, so far no cracks or fading on my dash/panels. They are dark charcoal too
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use 303 aerospace, it has spf 40 in it and leaves a nice finish that isn't too glossy. It goes on easily. Also invest in a sunshade, it really helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dabest09
I use 303 aerospace, it has spf 40 in it and leaves a nice finish that isn't too glossy. It goes on easily. Also invest in a sunshade, it really helps.
Yeah, I already have the sunshade. I've heard of that 303 stuff but I lost the link to order it. I couldn't find any at AutoZone or WalMart (big surprise, I know) and I wasn't entirely sure where else to look. Where do you get it from?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you guys getting the windshield sun screens? I'm really going to need one for this summer as my car is my DD for now. I've heard of covercraft that makes one that fits our car perfect, but would also like to see some other options first.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMixnMatch
Yeah, I already have the sunshade. I've heard of that 303 stuff but I lost the link to order it. I couldn't find any at AutoZone or WalMart (big surprise, I know) and I wasn't entirely sure where else to look. Where do you get it from?
I order all my stuff off autogeek. They are having a sale right now free shipping an 15% off your order if you spend $125.

Originally Posted by Conrad
Where are you guys getting the windshield sun screens? I'm really going to need one for this summer as my car is my DD for now. I've heard of covercraft that makes one that fits our car perfect, but would also like to see some other options first.
I believe I got mine off summit but I forgot, my ex got it for me for my birthday last year lol. It's the covercraft one, good quality. I'll get those pics as promised soon.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

I got mine from walmart for like $8. It doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the dash since it's square at the bottom.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

This one sits flush with the entire windshield. They are all custom made to fit certain model cars. It's well worth the money. I used to have a walmart one and it's nothing compared to the covercraft one.

Quick Reply: Interior Protection