Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would the FAST intake benefit a cam/bolt-on car w/the LS6 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would the FAST intake benefit a cam/bolt-on car w/the LS6 intake?

Also, which one would be more beneficial, the 78mm or the 90mm? Would the 90mm be overkill? Heads is probably going to be the cut off point for me as far as adding natural power. I dont think Ill go with bigger cubes. Would the 90mm hurt me more than it would help? Whats a burst panel kit? Replacement burst panel? Intake port seal (set of 8)? Lastly, replacement hardware kit? Sorry for all the questions, but I might order it tomorrow and want to be sure that its going to be worth it or not and what I need to go with it. By the way, if you happen to have one on your cam only car and replaced the LS6 intake, what kind of gains did you get? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search for LSX and you can see what ppl are gaining with the intake on their particular setup. Also checkout the Dyno section, at the top is a sticky thread specifically for the LSX intake.

Whats a burst panel kit:
Used for nitrous applications, does not come standard on either 78 or 90mm models.

Replacement burst panel:
Simply a replacement burst panel, blow your old one - buy a new one.

Intake port seal (set of 8):
Well on the LSX, LS1 and LS6 intakes you have 8 ports that seal to the heads.
If your seals are worn then replace with these. Their actually made by Comp Cams.

Replacement hardware kit:
Since a new LSX intake comes with a hardware kit this is not going to benefit you unless you remove or damage a bolt removing the LSX intake over and over. Made by Comp Cam.

I have a H/C automatic and I opted for the 78mm intake with the FAST TB (waiting patiently).
Old 03-31-2004, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club NA

So...Im a cam/bolt-on car now and will probably do heads later down the line, so a 78mm intake is what I need? Would even spending the extra money for the 90mm be a waste? What all does the intake come with, you said it comes with a hardware kit? Does the intake come with port seals already in it like a new LS6 intake does? I have a ported and polished tb from Bauer racing, how many mm's is it? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jay at Absolute Speed say's a stage 2 heads and cam car would benefit with the LSX 90mm intake over the LS6 and the LSX 78mm and Jay Knows his flow #'s. I trust his opinion on flow so that's what I went with.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 78mm intake only comes with :

- New bolts for a throttle body.
- New bolts for mounting the intake to the engine (10 bolts).
- New lower profile bolts for the valley cover (10 I believe).

Be prepared to do the following :
- Bend your x-over coolant line down 1/2 inch.
- Do not remove the top cover (for inspection of the seal) as it say to in the directions.
- Transfer your throttle body gasket from the old to the LSX intake(78mm only).
- Transfer all your intake (8) gaskets from the old to the LSX intake.
- Transfer your MAP sensor from the old to the LSX intake. Be prepared to use silicone to hold it down or 3M double sided tape.
- Re route your MAP sensor harness to give you a little more length on re-install.

As for the size of your current TB, its 75mm and will work on the 78mm LSX just fine. However the 90 will require a whole new TB (Fast, TPIS, MTI etc make them). As for what size LSX to get, like Smokin Joe stated, if your running a larger H/C package then a 90 will benefit more due to the higher flow #'s. Im running Jays Stage 1x with a TR224 so I opted for the 78.

If your planning on going to higher flowing heads and a larger cam then get the 90, but make sure you can get your hands on a 90mm TB first so you reduce your down time (if that matters).
Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club NA

So the coolant pipes for the LS6 intake I need to keep because I will need to reuse them, but bend them so that the new intake fits? Besides the intake and the hardware kit that it comes with, what else do I need to purchase? Whats the valley cover because one of the things you listed in the things that I need to be prepared to do is: Do not remove the top cover (for inspection of the seal) as it say to in the directions. (I was thinking those new lower profile bolts were for that.) So the intake doesnt come with the port seals, so if I dont want to transfer them from my LS6, then I need to buy new ones. On the 78mm, why would I have to transfer the seal on the TB to the intake?

Ok...heres the big question. As stated before, Im only a cam/bolt-on car, but plan to do heads and a bigger cam later. As of right now, Im running the MTI C2 cam (224/.581/112) What Im stumped on is if I should go ahead and buy the 90mm intake and TB and put it on my set up now and save myself the time, labor, and money when I do heads and a bigger cam. If I do that, is it going to help at all or is it actually going to hurt me? On the other hand, just buy the 78mm TB, put it on, and not have to worry about if its going to hurt me at all, but then when I upgrade to the heads and bigger cam, that intake isnt going to be enough. What should I do? Could I run the 90mm intake and TB on my setup now? Thanks a bunch for all the help so far. I hope to get this figured out.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't remove the coolant x-over, its plumbed into your heads - has nothing to do with being a part of your intake. When you get ready to bend it down be careful, I simply pressed down in the middle of the x-over till I got enough clearance.

If your unsure about the condition of your current intake runner gaskets (8), just order new ones (got mine from Thunder) - however mine looked brand new when I pulled my intake so I considered it cheap insurance just incase.

The valley cover is right underneath your intake, its also where your knock sensors are located so be careful of the wiring. The new valley bolts provided will give addt'l bottom clearance for the LSX intake. The stock valley bolts sit to high, and the intake won't sit flush against the heads !

Probably the most important thing to remember when removing your intake is not to break the oil pressure sender. Your LSX instructions cover this topic, just be careful and take your time - PM me if you need to and I'll explain how I did mine.

You've got some valid questions regarding the 78 & 90mm for current and future setup. I can't say if running a 90 on your current will actually decrease performance, id feel like im lying if I said I knew. Hopefully someone who is actually running or installed a 90 on a bolt on car can shed some light.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost forgot one of your questions.

In the instruction provided by FAST, they ask that you remove all the bolts (16 I believe) that attach the intake cover to the intake itself. They ask this because they want you to inspect the seal, just ignore that part. You will however need to remove the 8 bolts needed during installation of the intake - you'll see what I mean when you get yours.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero2Sixty
The 78mm intake only comes with :

- New bolts for a throttle body.
- New bolts for mounting the intake to the engine (10 bolts).
- New lower profile bolts for the valley cover (10 I believe).

Be prepared to do the following :
- Bend your x-over coolant line down 1/2 inch.

- Do not remove the top cover (for inspection of the seal) as it say to in the directions.
- Transfer your throttle body gasket from the old to the LSX intake(78mm only).
- Transfer all your intake (8) gaskets from the old to the LSX intake.
- Transfer your MAP sensor from the old to the LSX intake. Be prepared to use silicone to hold it down or 3M double sided tape.
- Re route your MAP sensor harness to give you a little more length on re-install.

As for the size of your current TB, its 75mm and will work on the 78mm LSX just fine. However the 90 will require a whole new TB (Fast, TPIS, MTI etc make them). As for what size LSX to get, like Smokin Joe stated, if your running a larger H/C package then a 90 will benefit more due to the higher flow #'s. Im running Jays Stage 1x with a TR224 so I opted for the 78.

If your planning on going to higher flowing heads and a larger cam then get the 90, but make sure you can get your hands on a 90mm TB first so you reduce your down time (if that matters).
This thread is back from the dead!! SEARCH function works!!! when test fitting my fast the front LS6 coolant line wouldnt clear the intake and this answers my question