LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump?

On my 96 z28 when i turned my air on it came out lukewarm then after a few minutes i noticed smoke starting to come from under the hood and every since ive had a leak under my car maybe the size of a 50 cent piece maybe a little bigger,also i have a few orange streaks on the inside of my hood (assuming its dexcool) i just wanna be sure its the pump before i put the money out
Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The waterpump leaks from the bottomside onto the belt generally. Which will cause some funkiness in the power steering like cutting out for a moment.

The streaks under the hood, do they look windblown backwards or laterally thrown by the belt?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicelt1z28
On my 96 z28 when i turned my air on it came out lukewarm then after a few minutes i noticed smoke starting to come from under the hood and every since ive had a leak under my car maybe the size of a 50 cent piece maybe a little bigger,also i have a few orange streaks on the inside of my hood (assuming its dexcool) i just wanna be sure its the pump before i put the money out
Sounds more likely to be a hose if it's splashing the hood, but it could be the water pump, t stat housing, radiator, or cap too. Check the hoses for leaks before you replace the water pump.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is why I asked about direction of spray. I would agree hoses are more likely to get coolant on the hood.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thr streaks are running lateral on the hood and also at the bottom part on the front of the pump where its a hose or whatever that is connected to it is wet and its dripping from the bottom of the wp while running....i just got back in the house from checking it again
Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicelt1z28
Thr streaks are running lateral on the hood and also at the bottom part on the front of the pump where its a hose or whatever that is connected to it is wet and its dripping from the bottom of the wp while running....i just got back in the house from checking it again
If you're certain it's dripping from the bottom of the water pump (and not running down the water pump) then you need a new one. It's possible you may need a new hose or two as well. If you end up replacing the water pump and your hoses are not in great shape, replace them.

Quick Reply: Water Pump?