Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 axle "walking" out

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 8.8 axle "walking" out

bought a 93 mustang with a 6.0l th350 8.8 combo, when i loaded it on trailer after buying it, it leaked gear oil out of pass when it was leaning a little to that side, got it home and took axle out to find that the axle wasnt all the way in the bearing, the gears had just been changed so i thought maybe it just didnt get pressed on far enough, after some street time i noticed last nite its come back out a little, it has c-clip eliminators, im going to try a new bearing and see if that works but has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJGls1
bought a 93 mustang with a 6.0l th350 8.8 combo, when i loaded it on trailer after buying it, it leaked gear oil out of pass when it was leaning a little to that side, got it home and took axle out to find that the axle wasnt all the way in the bearing, the gears had just been changed so i thought maybe it just didnt get pressed on far enough, after some street time i noticed last nite its come back out a little, it has c-clip eliminators, im going to try a new bearing and see if that works but has anyone else had this problem?
The "C" clip eliminators I know about use the axle bearing to retain the axle. You need to take it apart and see what's happening. It should have a heavy stamped steel retainer bolted to the end of the axle tube to hold the outer race. The inner is held by a steel collar that's pressed on the axle behind the bearing.

Al 95 Z28