Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another STS Turbo Question before I jump on it

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another STS Turbo Question before I jump on it

Ok so im looking at this sts turbo kit for sale, I was planning on a heads and cam swap but seem with the turbo I would have more power down the road, my question is how hard would it be to install and if I could keep all my stock internals? I just didn't want to mess with internals that's what got me into the turbo kits, anyone can input on this would really help thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heads and cam are really good since the power is right there. i'm runing an sts kit, 383 stroker with a 76mm, but with forged internals. you're not gonna want to run over 8psi on stock internals so theres your limit, of course money is always the final factor and what your power goals are. i've been contemplating lately if a f-1a would have been a better route to take.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I bought an sts turbo kit with intercooler, im currently sourcing parts to complete the build. I have 317 6.0 LQ heads, i bought a complete walker/dynomax exhaust which bolts to the stock manifolds to replace my long tubes and off road y pipe. the walker exhaust bolts to the stock manifolds and does not crush down like the stock exhaust does, and is straight pipe no cats. the biggest problem people seem to have is lag time on a rear mount, but you have to think about where they are starting from. if they have long tubes and a cam not designed for boost they are going to have big time lag. Im having a custom cam made to help light off the turbo early and ill be wrapping the entire exhaust to keep the heat in the exhaust for better spool. the 317 heads should drop my compression ratio to 9.5:1 which should be safer at higher boost. if you keep your power goals reasonable you will be happy with the rear mount. if your going to install on a stock motor 7-8psi is about the limit the stock motor can handle. the install seems to be a bit of a lenghty process but its nothing complicated.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Teching In

hit up comp cams or sts for a cam already done they have a few selections. the recommended their "biggest" cam for me, so far so good. i have some stalling issues when i come to a stop but i was looking at that walker setup myself with my stock headers and taking out my mangaflow cats. how do you like it?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah well hes selling cheap so thats why i eas thinking about how much power are u guys making ?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

i'm about 700 to the wheel
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody know how hard is to build an sts turbo style kit by yourself
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
hit up comp cams or sts for a cam already done they have a few selections. the recommended their "biggest" cam for me, so far so good. i have some stalling issues when i come to a stop but i was looking at that walker setup myself with my stock headers and taking out my mangaflow cats. how do you like it?
i would def recommend the walker y pipe set up to everyone who has an sts kit. it bolts right up to 2000-2002 manifolds with zero modification. Im still gathering parts i need to complete the turbo kit so i havent installed it yet but it looks like a winner. my only concern would be the pipes hitting the bottom of the car because they do not crush down but hopefully walker has engineered around that problem. I called sts about their cam, they wouldnt tell me the cam specs (which i guess i understand) but my tuner spec'ed a cam that should work well with my set up. I didnt know sts had multiple cams available but im interested in the specs of the cam to see how close they are to what my tuner recommended.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Im currently building my own rear mount set-up, with a non-lowered car it would not be too hard at all, but if its lowered it will be 10 times harder. I had jumped on a kit that was on ebay for a rear mount turbo kit because it was reasonable, however i havent used a single piece from it because like i said before the sts kit wont work with lowered cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

I currently have a home built rearmount and it spools pretty quick,my problem is not enough power.im probly making around 500-550 rwhp and its a blast to drive.i have the 1.25drop eibachs and ground clearance is not too terrible.my lowest part that ever scrapes is the intercooler pipe that goes under my kmember. It all come down to what you want.i wanted a stock driving car thats fast,because I didnt enjoy driving it with a big cam in the city
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

the parts gathering can be a bit time consuming if you are a bit budget minded, but if you have a little cash to burn, the parts gathing isnt that bad. if you have reasonable fabrication skills and metal working equipment or a friend that does, its not bad. im almost done gathering parts and about to finish my build.
the main components to get are:
fuel pump
fuel injectors
Turbo
scavanging oil pump
intercooler
these are the most expensive parts of the build.

then everythign else inbetween:
oil feed fittings
oil feed lines
oil feed check valve
oil feed flange
oil feed restrictor
oil drain fittings
oil drain lines
oil drain flange
oil cooler (optional)
oil cap with AN fitting built into it
addtional an fittings for various reasons

PCV
oil catch can
PCV check valve
LS6 valley cover (recommended)
PCV hoses

Cold piping
hose couplers
t-bolt clamps
BOV
BOV flange

Hot pipe
turbo inlet flange
Wastegate flange
Wastegate

boost gauge
wideband gauge
and what ever other gauges you want (fuel usually is a good one)
gauge pod (a pillar is common)

wiring, tuning, and other little tiny details that you will have to figure out as you go.

all in all its not that hard to do, just takes a bit of time. but if oyu have a plan and are determined, and a bit of money lol, it goes by pretty fast
Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Yea sts won't directly tell you their specs but it's from comp cams and the specs are on the box. I'm running somethin like 228 duration with 115 lsa and .612 of lift. Not impossible to drive even with an aluminum fly wheel
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
Yea sts won't directly tell you their specs but it's from comp cams and the specs are on the box. I'm running somethin like 228 duration with 115 lsa and .612 of lift. Not impossible to drive even with an aluminum fly wheel

i dont have my info with me but those specs seem close to what my tuner recommended i think he spec'd out a wider lsa something like 117 or 118 and lift right around .590-.600 ish
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ibex37
i dont have my info with me but those specs seem close to what my tuner recommended i think he spec'd out a wider lsa something like 117 or 118 and lift right around .590-.600 ish
thats almost like the +02 zo6 cam - 204/218 .551/.547 LSA-117.5
this ones said to be pretty good for mild turbo builds.

i keep comeing across the TU0 and TU1 as really good mild turbo cams.
TU0
216/216 .561/.561 LSA 114
TU1
225/225 .581/.581 LSA 113

im torn on what i should do for myself. if i do a cam, i want to do heads too since ill can get it all done at the same time. plus i can freshen up my ls1 in the process with new little items like lifters, pushrods, and whatnots.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

for an off the shelf cam, tick has come out with turbo specific cams in different stages. Martin also does custom build specic cams if you talk to him abuot it and give all the specifics off your build.
he explained to me that rear turbos benefit from a more traditional type splits vs same durations like 228R's due because of the need for more exhaust to push the turbine. not a huge wide split, but a little. im going with a cam he recommended just this past week. 226/235 114 lsa cam. should be fun!
my build is gonna consist of a stock 5.7L ls1 with a T76 turbo and 317 heads with 9.8-9.9ish CR (est calculated with .040 gaskets) with 600ish as the target for now. (550 at wheels)

Quick Reply: Another STS Turbo Question before I jump on it