Generation IV Internal Engine - Changing valve seals

View Full Version : Changing valve seals

dmracing
07-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Whats the best way of removing the stock valve seals and replacing them. I changed the cam, and now need to change the springs and valve seals

Brian Tooley
07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Generally stock seals can be removed with channel lock pliers.

Getting some of the new seals installed can be a bit more of a chore. The cheapest and easiest way to install them in my opinion is to use a 12mm 12 point socket, a longer bolt with a larger washer that fits the stock rocker stud hole, and some type of pry bar. Keep the socket as parallel and perpendicular to the valve stem as possible.

Make sure you lube the inside of the seals and the outside of the guides.

It looks ghetto, but it works fairly well. Whatever you do, don't beat them on with a hammer.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/Brian_Tooley/DSCF5397.jpg

-TheBandit-
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting the pic Brian. I like that idea!

dmracing
07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Generally stock seals can be removed with channel lock pliers.

Getting some of the new seals installed can be a bit more of a chore. The cheapest and easiest way to install them in my opinion is to use a 12mm 12 point socket, a longer bolt with a larger washer that fits the stock rocker stud hole, and some type of pry bar. Keep the socket as parallel and perpendicular to the valve stem as possible.

Make sure you lube the inside of the seals and the outside of the guides.

It looks ghetto, but it works fairly well. Whatever you do, don't beat them on with a hammer.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/Brian_Tooley/DSCF5397.jpg

Thanks Brian, and Ill be getting hold of you real soon for springs.

LS1 BU
07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Pliers or door panel clip remover i have works great. Clip remover is easier. . I use a wrist pin to install. Fits exactly on seal and some pressure and mallet will make them go right on.

wildcamaro
07-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Pliers or vice grips set as loose as possible without slipping off and a lil bit of rotation...and oil makes all the difference on install!

87silverbullet
07-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Pliers or door panel clip remover i have works great. Clip remover is easier. . I use a wrist pin to install. Fits exactly on seal and some pressure and mallet will make them go right on.

Types exactly what Brian Tooley says not to do.:jest:

Don't worry dude I have been doing it that way for years also and it has worked so far.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.