LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best flowmaster muffler or cat back for 95 Z28 LT1 M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best flowmaster muffler or cat back for 95 Z28 LT1 M6

My parents bought a 1995 Z28 LT1 T-tops with the T-56, it has only 129,000 kms on it and is well taken care of, it still has the original exhaust and it's way to quite! They loved the Flowmaster muffler on my 94 Z28 LT1 t-56, and would like it to sound the same. I don't know what series muffler it was, as I didn't install it.

The 95 Camaro has the single cat. I see there are two cat back kit's one is 2.5" and the other is 3" the 3" is very expensive. What size is the stock exhaust, and has anyone had success welding on the 80 series cross flow muffler to the stock exhaust? On a tight budget as I am giving them the muffler for there birthday.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The prior owner of my car replaced the stock muffler with a single Flowmaster crossflow muffler (80 series? I think). It sounds good and I have a cutout for the track. I still have the stock intermediate pipe, it's 2.75 dia.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Flowmaster? That's like asking who's **** smells the best. Much better sounds out there. SLP Loudmouth, Magnaflow, Corsa, Borla, etc.

Edit: Yes, I know my sig says my car has a Flowmaster 40 on it, prior owner put it on there and I hate the sound, can't wait to replace it.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Im a magnaflow fan myself. Nice crisp sound, but if youve got the coin id get an slp loudmouth
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FlowMaster#17143 is what they want, it's about $309.
For just the muffler FM #43083(about $96) with 15" case length, or FM #53083(about $126) with a 17" case length, both are 80 Series mufflers
FYI, shorter case length will be louder.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FlowMaster#17143 is what they want, it's about $309.
For just the muffler FM #43083(about $96) with 15" case length, or FM #53083(about $126) with a 17" case length, both are 80 Series mufflers
FYI, shorter case length will be louder.
Ok thanks guys I'll checkout these numbers. Think I'll go with just the muffler. Don't want super loud, and a wider muffler might make it easier to install. Also I now Flow master doesn't slow as well as some of the others, but never have I heard such good tones.. Flow-master fan forever.. I will always run them no matter what others say!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Exhaust is a personal preference. If the OP 94Camaro's parents likes the sound then that's all that matters. To answer your question, the exhaust your car has is almost certainly the 80 series muffler which was a direct stock replacement - 2.5"dia inlet and outlets. If your folks are going to keep this car stock and granny the thing (like mine would) then just replace the muffler and enjoy. If your old man really likes to boot around and may get into some bolt ons then I'd strongly recommend putting up a bit more $ and buying the 3" American thunder full cat back kit. At +/- $300 this is actually one of the most affordable cat back kits available. Will not only sound awesome but look awesome as well. I've got the same kit on my car - love those stainless steel slash cut exhaust pipes.

Its funny how universally despised Flowmaster is for these cars. Or maybe I should say, "was"... I think its been so long people that some people forget; I also suspect there are flowmaster haters out there who have never actually heard a flowmaster before! lol

I personally have always loved the sound. I love the olde school, muscle car rumble. Great low bass tones and screaming highs. My car had an 80 series muffler when I bought it. I always knew I'd get the American thunder catback for the new setup. I've recently picked up a 3" electronic cutout and when I finally get around to dyno tuning the car I'm going to do a direct comparison and will post for everyone to see just how terrible these flowmasters are (I suspect the hp difference will be a lot less than the cynics make it out to be).

The thing I love most about my flowmaster is when I get to tell people "its a Flowmaster" I get compliments from everybody who hears my car. Mustang guys, import guys, classic car guys, other F-body guys. I honestly think people forget or literally have NEVER heard a flowmaster for themselves b/c the guys who "think" they know are in disbelief when I tell them. "What!? THAT'S a Flowmaster??? No way". There's been a few dudes who still didn't believe me even after I showed them the embossed logo at the end of my tailpipes... these guys thought I simply used the stainless steel tailpipes from the american thunder kit and was running a loud mouth. The owner of the shop who help put my car together drives a $100k+ procharged 427 Z06 and every single time my Z28 pulls into his shop he tells me much he wishes his Vette could sound like that. Maybe these exhausts sound like crap on the LSx mills but on the LT1 they rocked.
Yeah My truck sounds tinny LS based, and long tubes, but mostly I think it's the long tubes not the flow-masters I also get a too much crackle when I back off. Maybe the tune isn't right or the exhaust size is to big, but the LT1 does sound great on Flowm-masters. I have always noticed the stock manifold 5.0 mustangs and LT1 or TPI camaros sound better with s good exhaust and stock manifolds..but I know I am weird!

Quick Reply: best flowmaster muffler or cat back for 95 Z28 LT1 M6