Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

efi vs blow through

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi vs blow through

I am in the middle of my first turbo 5.3 build and I am starting to collect parts for my motor. My biggest problem is should I go with a blow through or a efi set up? I am new to efi of any kind. If efi a speed density tune or something else. I would like to run e85 also.

My set up
-10 feed line
-8 return line
À2000 pump
Boost ref regulator
Truck manifolds
S400 turbo t6 flange
243 heads

What would be better in the long run for ease of use and tuning. What would I need to run the efi as far as harness o2.censors computer.etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

I am also interested to see everybody's opinion on this also.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

No one has any opinion on this?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote efi all the way. Theirs plus' and minus for both. Efi gives you a lot of control, reliablability and is simplistic once you understand it. It really depends on what your comfortable with though
Old 08-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I would suggest efi as well. What are you putting this in? I got a painless wiring harness for mine super easy and even has a obo ii port and check engine light. Plug and play easy!! Then a PCM from just about any junkyard and boom ready to go.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

This is going in a 84 mustang
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Gfleck047
I am in the middle of my first turbo 5.3 build and I am starting to collect parts for my motor. My biggest problem is should I go with a blow through or a efi set up? I am new to efi of any kind. If efi a speed density tune or something else. I would like to run e85 also.

My set up
-10 feed line
-8 return line
À2000 pump
Boost ref regulator
Truck manifolds
S400 turbo t6 flange
243 heads

What would be better in the long run for ease of use and tuning. What would I need to run the efi as far as harness o2.censors computer.etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is no universal answer as to what is best for you.

Who will be tuning it ? Will it be a single build and tune with few if any changes at a later date ?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Either straight line or speed inc.would be tuning the car when.it is done. I will want to have room to improve at a later date I just don't know how consistant or how reliable a blow through is
Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Either straight line or speed inc.would be tuning the car when.it is done. I will want to have room to improve at a later date I just don't know how consistant or how reliable a blow through is
People have been using carbs for years, so there really isnt an issue there.

Will efi be more flexible and easier tuned ? IMO yes it will. But it will add a little more complexity during the build.

A carb setup can be very very simple, and probably cheaper to build because of it.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

If you have a complete engine with a harness and computer. There is no reason to go Carb. A blow through Carb will run $750-1000. Plus you will need the msd controller.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run a blow through carb with E85 on my LTX.

I only switched because my wiring harness was ruined.

BUT...

I am happy with it. Its been great to me, and not having an intercooler and all the extra wiring really makes working on the car easy.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
I run a blow through carb with E85 on my LTX.

I only switched because my wiring harness was ruined.

BUT...

I am happy with it. Its been great to me, and not having an intercooler and all the extra wiring really makes working on the car easy.
I just plug in my laptop inside the vehicle, dont even need to pop the hood. Lol

Another vote for efi here. Id suggest you learn to do your own tuning. Get efi live or a stand alone and be done with it.

A friend of mine went blow through 2 years ago and is on his 2nd carb trying to get it to run right and is constantly working on it, changing brpv's and jets, and buying an msd boost timing box, changing bonnets, and yada yada. He easily could have bought a holley hp efi setup by now.

Do blowthroughs work, yes but they seem to be hit or miss on running spot on outta the box. And i dont think they are any cheaper by the time you buy all the stuff to get them to work
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I think I am gonna go efi. I just need to change fuel pump and regulator.

On that note the new holley dominator billet inline pump anyone have any reviews or use it?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Launching!

its all up to you. i went blow thru and will probably be running it from here on out. drive ability is great. never had a problem in that sense. its like anything else if you cheap out on the carb or dont convert one properly your going to have problems. i run a C&S and it has been great its been on 4 different setups and only needed little tuning form one to the other.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either straight line or speed inc.would be tuning the car when.it is done.
Well if it makes your decision any easier, I don't tune blow through setups because I stopped messing around with carburetors about 15 years ago.

That being said, I think people have found blow through setups to be similar if not slightly higher peak horsepower numbers, it's just not something I'm interested in working on.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silver_82
I just plug in my laptop inside the vehicle, dont even need to pop the hood. Lol

Another vote for efi here. Id suggest you learn to do your own tuning. Get efi live or a stand alone and be done with it.

A friend of mine went blow through 2 years ago and is on his 2nd carb trying to get it to run right and is constantly working on it, changing brpv's and jets, and buying an msd boost timing box, changing bonnets, and yada yada. He easily could have bought a holley hp efi setup by now.

Do blowthroughs work, yes but they seem to be hit or miss on running spot on outta the box. And i dont think they are any cheaper by the time you buy all the stuff to get them to work
Sound like he just had bad luck

On my C&S, I put it on the intake, changed jets twice, and i have been driving it for over a year with not a single issue.

not trying to steer the OP either way, im just chiming in with my experience.

Quick Reply: efi vs blow through