Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Newb to FI, got some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb to FI, got some ?'s

I'm new to the whole FI scene, and curious about some stuff. I'm building a 89 hatchback foxbody, 347 LS, Ebay GT45, 317 heads, TH400 w/trans brake

So far I have the bottom end together,
-Stock Crank
-Compstar Callies H-beams 6.125
-Diamond Racing 11503 (-8.6cc) Pistons

But I'm kinda lost on some stuff:
-what waste gate is ideal?
-how much boost I can safely run (some say 10lbs others say more but not exact amounts)
-whats the ideal cam to run with this setup (A lot say the LS9 cam, some say 02 LS6, maybe even a custom grind?)
-Should I run water meth? is there any real cons to using it? And If I choose to run it, is a FMIC over-kill? I noticed some guys don't use one when running Water meth.
-Whats the ideal boost controller?
-Best BOV for this application?
-what lb injectors do I need?

And lastly would the edelbroke XT pro-flo intake be overkill for this build? I've heard of a lot of guys saying just to run the LS6 intake.

The goal for this build is to hit low tens at least, the car is pretty much gutted, no a/c or heat, no back seats, kirkey seats up front.

This build isn't really a budget build other then the Ebay turbo, I've heard alot of good things about them and for the price I figured why not give it a try, if I have issues or wanna go bigger down the road I'll look into a more main stream business for one.

Just looking for some answers, like I said not a budget build so give me some honest opinions on whats ideal and whats a good HP expectancy, this will be mostly a drag car that will hit the streets everyonce in awhile.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have many of the same questions so curious on answers. I am doing twin 76mm build though.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Launching!

People run 10psi with stock internals, so you should be good for more. Run a waste gate according to the boost; like say you are going to run low boost, around 6-10, in that range you need a bigger wastegate/ more boost you may need a smaller wastegate.
The waste gate controls the amount of exhaust flow bipassing the turbo once set boost is reached; the bigger the gate the more exhaust gas can bipass the turbo.
If you run to small a gate, the back pressure from exhaust will cause whats called boost creep.

Injectors depend on hp goals, if you want more than 600; 80's will probably be good.
Look up threads and you can find more info
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm running forged pistons and rods with the stock crank what would be a good amount of boost to run? And what size WG would be ideal for said boost? Thanks for explaining.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

focus on two things in general. the best tune you can possibly obtain. and also temperature reduction. focus on getting 1 set of injectors and being done. 100lbs should be all you need unless you do consider e85. a couple of searches on your other questions will give the you answers your looking for.

some popular solutions are for temp reduction are

methanol injection
a2w intercooler
e85
kurt urban vapor system.

you have a forged bottom end, and the stock crank can easily support the power that 76mm can put out. you can go way more than 10lbs. turn it up.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

What sz bov wastegate would be needed on a 408 gt5088 turbo and a mx of 18-20#s.Which brands are the best bang for the buck aswell.

Quick Reply: Newb to FI, got some ?'s