Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reccomend a convertor for my nitrous application?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reccomend a convertor for my nitrous application?

I've decided I've had enough of the TCS convertor. High heat & who knows what else is going on. before I ruin the tranny, I'm pulling it, have it gone through. Pump replaced, and I'm changing the convertor while I'm in there.

Car is a 393 ARE all bore, with a DP NOS system. Only at 200 shot right now, but will be in the 300+ range this year, after everything is sorted out. Tranny is a TH400.

I need some sugestions on good companies. Not one that is going to fold up tomorrow. Lets hear your thoughts.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Yank pro extreme is their power adder convertor. very good unit. priced decent (about 900 i believe?). very efficient.

for all out, no one can beat a Neal Chance convertor for their strength and performance. they are over 1K easily but what the big dogs run.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yank certainly makes very nice units with a wide range prebuilt options. PI and TCI also have competitive products with some cost advantages. They all have targeted LS-1 products and experience but they are primarilly thought of as volume builders of defined solutions. I'm sure they will create a tailored applications if you buy from them directly but then you miss the GP advantages of the sponsors.

Marty at Neal Chance Race converters will walk you through selecting the right converter for you on the phone. He'll get into the details of your engine build, power levels, power adders, shift points, tranny, gears, rearend type, tires and everything under the sun. He'll then let you know the options with the base level weld together units, bolt together units and ultra light bolt together units. Once you get the details together the workorder hits the floor and it's about 10 days for the build this time of year and two days later it's there at your door step. You do pay extra for that one on one use of his skills but the results of his products speak well for him.

After my TCS fiasco, I've come to recognize that I want the product that I spec'd the first time. So I've gone with a weld up Neal Chance this time and she looks great. I can't wait to feel it do it's thing here in the next few month.

I don't need the range of flexibility that Derty was looking for with the Bolt together converter because I'm not racing with sanctioning bodies. It sure would be nice if you are racing competitively and you want to adjust for track conditions or you want to race with a fresh converter every season.

Rick
Old 04-08-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my TCS..best conveter I've run...srry to see you got bums. Where in the world is Derek now is the Question.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Another big vote for Neal Chance. Definitely call Marty and he'll set you up. If you go with a weld up it should be $1099. This is were my money is going as soon as I get the TH400.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
The Bull

Give Marty a call and go for a weld together version. What's a couple hundred bucks at this point? I like my bolt together converter. I can't wait to pop it open and tighten it up a bit. As far as hitting home runs though, Marty really spec'd out my current one right on the money. Certainly has my vote of confidence.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DERTY
Give Marty a call and go for a weld together version. What's a couple hundred bucks at this point? I like my bolt together converter. I can't wait to pop it open and tighten it up a bit. As far as hitting home runs though, Marty really spec'd out my current one right on the money. Certainly has my vote of confidence.

I never asked about a price on the bolt up version. Is it right at $200 more?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-09-2004, 01:14 AM
The Bull

Try over $1500 total depending on how he sets it up. They can top out around $2600 for the billy bad *** versions.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. I think "Billy" may be a little rich for my blood, especially since all their converters work so well. I'm guessing I'll stick with the weld up version and just send it back when I need a freshen up.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Yank PY3600E is a great nitrous converter
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered the Neal Chance weld together, last week. Should be here soon. Thanks for the advice guys.

Now I have to have the tranny gone through & figure out what to do with the TCS convertor.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Congrats my brother! Can't wait to get my 400 and Neal Chance.