General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Z28, Very odd... will not crank after sitting, then will crank after several tries

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Z28, Very odd... will not crank after sitting, then will crank after several tries

Ok so this has been very wierd and I really can not figure it out. I have replaced the starter, battery, and alternator all in 2 weeks so far. The car has been doing great with firing up every time with no issues. Today has been a different story. I went to work and the car sat for 8 hours, went outside, turned the key, fuel pump primed, had the car in gear with the e-break, turned the key...nothing...all the lights were on the dash like they normally are when it starts regular...tried it 3 more times, still nothing....foot on break took it out of gear, tried 2 more times... nothing.... then the 3rd time wham, the damn thing fires up like nothing ever happened. Then again this happened after the car sat for about 2 hours or so.

Any freakin clue???????
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a fuel pump? Not sure what pressure is supposed to be but i would check fuel pressure. It may have just been a fluke tho, how many times has it done this?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01BlueSS1995
Sounds like a fuel pump? Not sure what pressure is supposed to be but i would check fuel pressure. It may have just been a fluke tho, how many times has it done this?
two times today... brought it home after the second time, turned it off for 30 seconds, fired right back up
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check fuel pump, sounds exactly like what my buddies truck does. Prime it 2-3 times and see what that does.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I have read its an issue with the fuel pressure regulator. I have trying to get at it but I don't have time to fully drop the tank and I am not going to cut an access hole through the floorboard to get the pump out. Im in the habit of turning the ignition on and letting it prime and build pressure for a few seconds. Sometimes it will start right up but sometimes it needs a few seconds or a few cranks. It's livable for now.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Teching In

ugggh... this thing is a pain in my ***!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

When the car fails to start, if the starter motor turning on?

If not, try swapping out the starter relay in the underhood fusebox. you can swap it with the relay next to it (forget what it is for). I have had this relay get lazy on me before and not wanting to energize the starter.

The symptoms kind of mirror those of a vats problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fireberg

If not, try swapping out the starter relay in the underhood fusebox. you can swap it with the relay next to it (forget what it is for). I have had this relay get lazy on me before and not wanting to energize the starter.

ill have to do some searching on here for the VATS problem not really sure what that entails

i could only be so lucky if it was as simple as a relay... my luck just does not go that way it seems
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Teching In

after reading about it i have not seen the security light on or flashing... so i might not have that issue yet
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had the VATS issue and this fuel pressure issue. To me it sounds more closely to the fuel regulator from how you described it. I could be wrong but thats my guess.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You may have a typical "Crankshaft Position" sensor issue. Your symptoms are 100% picture perfect for that.

CP sensors will slowly fail and you WILL NOT get a SES code/light till its totally dead....which is one of our cars Idiot Lights.

If you want to....go buy a new sensor. Put the front end up on ramps, drop the starter and there it is. Takes 5 minutes to change. See if it fixes the issue. If it doesn't...clean it real good and return it for a refund.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-07-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

I am thinking that we could have very similar or the same issues with our cars. I have an 02 SS. Randomly won't start and end up having to roll start to get it running. After the roll start, I can turn the car off then back on and it will usually start.

edit: just noticed the post above. I will give that sensor a try. Definitely worth giving it a go.

Last edited by areax; 09-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

I just did my CP sensor yesterday. Mine was doing the same thing.

Mine also was stuttering a little bit and dying randomly too.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

When you tried to start the car and it didn't start, was the security light lit on your dash?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Hadji
When you tried to start the car and it didn't start, was the security light lit on your dash?
That was my question. Could be the crank sensor, VATS system or fuel pump. Typically, the security light leans towards the VATS system which is a relative easy fix as well
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it does everything but crank, my vote is for the VATS system. the 2 tiny wires that come off the ignition key cylinder for the VATS system come apart. When you wiggle or mess with the key cylinder sometimes its enough to make contact and start the car. You will have to disassemble the upper steering column to see if the wires are cut, but you will need a some special tools to do it. Snap ring pliers, lock plate depressor, steering wheel puller and a few regular screw drivers etc. You might be able to fix the wires but you will probably need a new cylinder. Just my .02
Old 09-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

....could also be time for a new key. The resistor could be worn down too far to make good contact.

My friends 2002 Vette had this issue, got a new key last week. Starts every time, first time now......

Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

This.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Teching In

I have something similar to this on my 02 Z28:

Leave car overnight - car fires first time
Drive car and then switch off, try to start after 30secs - car fires first time
Leave the car for 10 min or even a few hours - car cranks but will not start, turn ignition off and after a few second try to start and the car fires first time

Have changed the regulator on the fuel rail and no change.
Changed the starter motor and no change
Have tried swapping the ignition relay and no change
Changed the battery and no change

At a loss now but guess i am left with the fuel pump or possibly VATS? Any advice welcomed!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Teching In

surprising i did the above and has worked ever since!

Quick Reply: 99 Z28, Very odd... will not crank after sitting, then will crank after several tries