Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car won't build any boost; turbo failure main cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't build any boost; turbo failure main cause?

A bit of background info: The car is a stock 98 LS1 longblock with upgraded valve springs (comp 918) and pushrods (TR 7.400 inch). The turbocharger is a Masterpower T70 with a .96 turbine housing. I had the car at Speed Inc. for a dyno tune last Wednesday, and when the tuner went to start doing WOT pulls the car would not build any boost whatsoever. The tuner told me that he felt like there was some kind of massive restriction in the intake tract somewhere, and I looked through the tubing and found nothing. Intercooler seems to be ok as well. When driving the car, it does not really sound like the turbo is spooling. The car does not blow any smoke. I did find an exhaust leak at the turbine housing to the crossover. However, I feel that even with a leak there, the car should make at least a bit of boost. At WOT, my boost gauge reads 0 and nothing more. When I took the turbo off to look at it, this is what I found:

I am assuming this turbo is an expensive paperweight, but is it the main cause of my issue?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

shaft play much? seems like you should still be able to make some sort of boost, tho. Is the shaft nut tight (most likely reverse threaded)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

That's a baby turbo lol, anyway is it me or does the wheel look a little bent?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

yea, that turbo is rediculously small...... its not even a 70mm I bet. spend another $85 and get a true 76mm, lol
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't run that anymore if it decides to come apart, it will mess your world up, If the shaft play is real bad the turbine or compressor will touch the housing slowing it down its pretty evident that its touching, and that is why your not able to make boost with it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have waisted alot of turbos over the years and that one is done! you have way to much gap between the blades and housing and that is why you have no boost you should have no more than the thickness of a business card for gap between the two.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the turbo is back off the car and being replaced with a TC76. I was just curious as to whether or not this turbo should still be able to make boost and if there are other issues I should be looking out for after the new turbo is on. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

From the looks of it as soon as load/boost was put on it the wheels were hitting the housings and stopping the wheels. If you can load the turbo with the air filter off, do it and look for sparks. JK, don't put metal in your engine. Looks done though, wheels have to move a lot to hit the housing.

Quick Reply: Car won't build any boost; turbo failure main cause?