Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start and stall...valvetrain chirp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start and stall...valvetrain chirp?

LS1 102k miles, stock internals

The engine makes a strange noise when trying to start it cold, gets worse when there is cold weather. The engine turns over, something makes a loud chirping/clicking noise, then the engine bogs and stalls. If it is especially cold out it takes 2 or 3 attempts to start the engine. I took off both belts and the noise persists. On a few instances the engine has backfired and stalled. When the engine is warmed up, it starts perfect and there is no noise at all. My oil pressure is very high, around 60 psi cold, 70 psi hot. I believe the previous owner installed a melling oil pump. Specifically the noise is coming from the driver's side of the engine.

Bent pushrod/bad lifter? I'll try and get a video next time it gets chilly outside.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First time of ever heard of anyone getting higher oil pressure when hot compared to cold.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
First time of ever heard of anyone getting higher oil pressure when hot compared to cold.
Could that indicate clogged passages?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RobC1993
LS1 102k miles, stock internals

The engine makes a strange noise when trying to start it cold, gets worse when there is cold weather. The engine turns over, something makes a loud chirping/clicking noise, then the engine bogs and stalls. If it is especially cold out it takes 2 or 3 attempts to start the engine. I took off both belts and the noise persists. On a few instances the engine has backfired and stalled. When the engine is warmed up, it starts perfect and there is no noise at all. My oil pressure is very high, around 60 psi cold, 70 psi hot. I believe the previous owner installed a melling oil pump. Specifically the noise is coming from the driver's side of the engine.

Bent pushrod/bad lifter? I'll try and get a video next time it gets chilly outside.
Did you ever find a fix for this? I have a chirp noise on my 2000 TA WS6 all stock 120k on the car. Just started a few weeks ago. I pulled all the belts off, ran the motor for a second just to listen and the chirp is still there. I took it into the shop. They took the valve cover off. found some worn push rods and friend rockers. Replaced them and still having that issue. Anyways if you have resolved the issue by now, can you please PM me or repost on your thread what the fix was? Thank you!

Quick Reply: Cold start and stall...valvetrain chirp?