Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To people curious about part specifications - cams, cranks, blocks, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To people curious about part specifications - cams, cranks, blocks, etc.

I noticed people were making a big deal about reverse engineering and part specifications as it pertains to cams.

My business is reverse engineering products. I do work for Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Honda, TRD, Harley, Suzuki, etc. I've done heads, cams, blocks, valvetrains, transmissions, etc. I use Coordinate Measuring Machines to gather data accurate to within 0.00002" (peak resolution).

So if you are curious about dimensional aspects of OEM parts or need to get engineering info, I can point you in the right direction or provide such services at reasonable rates.

Questions that I'm often asked:

Is reverse engineering illegal? No. However due to patents and trade dress laws, manufacturing objects from such data may be a violation of civil laws.

Is reverse engineering cheating? 90% of my jobs involve turning a rough prototype into CAD data for mass production. Another ~9% is people getting interface dimensions to make their product fit other products. Less than 1 out of 100 jobs is someone deliberately trying to copy a competitor's product.

How common is reverse engineering? While I can't discuss particular jobs, I can tell you that most major manufactures do analyse products similiar to their own. Nobody successful works in a vacuum.

So if you need these kinds of services, look me up.