Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make a solstice ls1 swap parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone make a solstice ls1 swap parts?

Alright so my girlfriend is kicking around the idea of buying a flood damaged solstice for cheap. Then doing an LS1 swap. I figure I could have the car done for $10k including the price of the car.

I'm not worried about doing any of the work, I've done my rx7 with a built ls2, and custom turbo kit; viper rear. Also swapped my rally car from 2wd to AWD, which was all custom.

Really, I'm just wondering if anyone makes a cradle, I could make one myself but would just be easier if someone made the cradle; the one thing i'm willing to buy and not make myself?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Check Mallett? I know they convert them, but I don't know if they offer the parts for purchase separately.

James
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Mallet used a custom bellhousing. I know the guy that made them out of billet, It's real expensive but it solved a lot of issues with fitment
Name:  MalletBellhousing.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  76.2 KB
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Try V8archie.com he is mostly known for the Fiero V8 swap stuff but I think he has done a couple Solstices...
Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

try gardella racing out of nj.

they were using solstices in a few pro drift events and had v8s. they are using camaro now, so might have some solstice stuff up for sale or know where to get it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I think that custom bellhousing is only used on one of their Auto packages. Says so on their website.

Looks like they are using the stock transmission though and not a T56. Wonder what the size differences are between them. I'd prefer to use the a T56, but if it's bigger I may have to notch the firewall/tunnel.

Last edited by czwalga00gt; 10-01-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Teching In

I would use the t56 if possible, I was never happy with the trans in my solstice and I was up around 350 horse with mine. Those little cars rip though with that kind of power. I had driven an LS2 solstice too and must say was definitely impressed. Enough power to smoke them at 60.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Well I found this....
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/...onahkrutlq3lr6

$3300 for the kit haha, basically some instructions, a driveshaft, radiator, and a modified wiring harness.
I think i'll pass....unless they are including an ls1 in there haha....from what it looks like just have to make some modifications to the stock from cradle/subframe. Should be easy enough.

"Are all the engine mounting points between the two engine pretty much the same?"

No they mount in completely different locations but do utilize the OEM chassis mounting pads, the instructions show how and where to mark and drill the new mounting locations in the chassis.

From Here:
http://www.gmsportcompact.net/forums...-release!!!!!?

The one thing i'm worried about would be steering rack clearance, which is usually the #1 concern in doing these kinds of swaps after 'will it fit'. I guess this company or mallet don't really seem to mention any kind of bumpsteer/tie rods in any of their kits. So I guess its not much of a problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I think Hinson Supercars is making a kit.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedBaron
I think Hinson Supercars is making a kit.

Yeah, they'll probably be making that kit for 10 years. Takes them a long time to do anything. I understand its a lot of work to make it full proof and offer it as a DIY kit, but they advertise like its always going to be done soon.

Quick Reply: Anyone make a solstice ls1 swap parts?