Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam LS1 using oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heads/Cam LS1 using oil?

Hi Guys,

I have posted on here a few times about my build. If you have any questions on it let me know, the full build thread is on here. Anyway I have about 2000 miles on my build, and I have had to add a quart of oil to my motor since then, and it is actually still slightly low. I recently put a catch can on the car (within about 500 miles I would say) along with the "revised PCV valve" but it seems that my car is still going through oil rather quickly. If I had to guess it would probably go through about 2 quarts in an oil change (3000 miles). Any ideas of what could be causing this? The entire top end is new. My buddy told me that sometimes you have to put sealant on the rocker bolts because oil can blow thru on certain casting heads? I am willing to do that, but I was not sure if that was the issue or what?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

check for leaks timing cover is a good place to look if it was not aligned correct
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Hows your oil pressure? Does your car smoke?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oil pressure is good, actually a bit higher than it was before I swapped all the parts due to a new oil pump. The only time I have ever seen the car smoke was on the dyno after a pull (but that is pretty standard from what I have seen). Also, as far as I know there are no leaks outside the motor. The heads are brand new on the car (~2000 miles on them) so I am assuming it is not the valve seals.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your heads were ported rocker bolts threads are exposed the the runner ,allowing oil to get in the runner.after a dyno pull the oil and engine is hotter producing more oil vapor and crank case pressure.check your intake for oil in it.try going back to a stock PCV valve.

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam LS1 using oil?