General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C clutch replacement help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C clutch replacement help needed

i know its the wintertime and the a/c is kinda useless now but my A/C is GREAT...until you shut it off. the a/c clutch i think is shot because the compresser makes a horrible grinding when the a/c is freewheeling. Im assuming the ac clutch bearing is gone.
my problem is how the hell do you get the ac clutch off to replace the bearing and the clutch? i tried doin a thread search and freinds say i havta take the car to a ac shop to get it fixed.
thanx
-matt
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

If you only have the noise when the A/C is off then it's probably a rusty clutch plate not releasing all the way making that terrible metalic sound. I just changed the clutch plate on mine and here is my thread;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ook-right.html

I also found this thread useful for the removal and install;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-clutch-2.html
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

thanx....exactly what i needed. you da MAN. .

im just hoping i can do this without disconnecting the lines. question though, even if i do evacuate the refrigerant myself through the low side port, will i get enough out to make it safe enough to crack off the lines on the compressor? i kinda would like to pull off the compressor to do this and it looks impossible to change the comp. bearing with it on soooo. can i refill the system as well as empty it myself with the R134a cans you get at autozone/napa etc?????
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Glad to help. I replaced my A/C clutch plate with the compressor on the vehicle. It looked to me like you would want to remove it if you are doing the bearing as well. I am no expert on opening up the A/C systems, someone who is will jump in.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

whats dumb is it was fine....then...metal shavings on the front of the compressor (the clutch). im wonderin if i can just pull the whole clutch assembly forward just a hair just to make the damn noise stop. i guess the clutch cover front plate part? i dunno what you call it but its definitly rubbing on the pully. ouch. HOPEFULLY i can evac. the system into the air then refill it myself to get the compressor off.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch replacement help needed