Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Signs my rack/power steering is going out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Signs my rack/power steering is going out?

I originally asked a similar question in the LT1 section but I figure this section is more appropriate

My front end is completely rebuilt, all within the last month - bushings, tie rods, ball joints, everything. Ive always had ~2in of play in the steering wheel so I upgraded to a reclocked LS1 steering shaft.

Now, I have ~1.5in of play and the steering is suddenly what I would describe as "grabby" - tight for a few degrees, then extremely loose and scary a few degrees, then tight again, then loose, etc. The only thing I changed was the shaft

Am I correct in thinking that either the rack or power steering pump was going out already and the sloppy LT1 shaft was just masking the problem?

If not, what does this sound like my issue is?

TIA
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad pump will typically whine when you turn the wheel - a bit like a good pump would if you held it at full lock, but a bad pump will do it all the time. Not sure on what a bad rack would be like, as I've never had that problem or driven a car that did.

You may have air in the PS system somewhere, so doing a flush and bleed wouldn't be a bad idea. If you wind up needing to replace the pump, you're almost better to just spend the money and get a Turn One unit - I wound up with three defective OEM replacement units in a row, and even though they got warrantied, I'd rather have just spent the extra money to start and saved myself a lot of time swapping pumps and bleeding the system.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, well here's a dumb question - how do I bleed the pump on a 93 TA?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

wheels in the air.......turn full lock left to right........as many times as it takes to get the air out
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

here's some more odd info

I put my stock 16"s back on last night, drove around the block and the funky steering issue is almost completely gone...

I had 17x9.5 ZR1s with 275/40s on the front and swapped back to 16x8s with 255/50s... I'm now wondering if putting some 245/45 r17's on the front would eliminate this problem

also, I'm thinking it could be a bumpsteer issue too since my car is lowered almost 3" in front... does anyone know of a kit thats cheaper than $170 (Spohn)?? I really dont want to buy a new rack only to find the same issue...

Last edited by VinR1; 10-22-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believed I figured out the problem - toe was waaay off, by my rough math, over 3 degrees in. Every turn of the tie rods would lessen the problem tremendously. I think I have it about right but Im getting a refund from the shop that did the 1st alignment and getting it done elsewhere
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear. but if you need a new rack i would recommend http://rackdoctor.net/

Quick Reply: Signs my rack/power steering is going out?