General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Thermostat Delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermostat Delete

I have an electric waterpump with a SBC 160* tstat in a stock LS1 tstat housing. Since I removed the HVAC system, is there any reason to keep the tstat? The car is a street/drag car that only gets driven during nice days. It is always allowed to warm up before driving, so I see no reason to have that restriction in the cooling system.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with out the restriction of the thermostat the water will move too fast ,and not remove heat from the engine properly.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
with out the restriction of the thermostat the water will move too fast ,and not remove heat from the engine properly.

This guy is 110% correct...

Why are you worried about the t-stat?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your electric water pump stay on all the time, or does it turn off below certain temps?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
I have an electric waterpump with a SBC 160* tstat in a stock LS1 tstat housing. Since I removed the HVAC system, is there any reason to keep the tstat? The car is a street/drag car that only gets driven during nice days. It is always allowed to warm up before driving, so I see no reason to have that restriction in the cooling system.
You gotta understand....a t-stat is NOT a restriction......its a regulator. With the t-stat removed the cooling system cannot do the job its designed to do. Without a t-stat in there all you have is a continuous water heater.

The t-stat is nothing more than a middle man that swaps hot coolant for cooler coolant. And it does it by opening and closing gradually as it senses the different temps of the coolant flowing across it. The t-stat must be able to close the door and stop the coolant flow once it senses that almost all of the HOT coolant from the engine block and heads has transferred into the radiator so it can start cooling off via Fans and Ram Air. Then the t-stat sits closed and waits until it senses the cooler coolant that just moved from the radiator into the engine block and heads to start getting HOT. Once that temp start to get very close to that 160* mark it begins to open which allows that swap of hot coolant in the engine/heads to change places with the coolant in the radiator that has been cooling from the last time that swap occurred. And so on and so on......

No t-stat and the coolant will just keep heating and heating and heating.....

On the highway, maybe you can find a sweet spot speed where it won't overheat....but once it reaches that point-of-no-return (temp-wise) its all downhill from there and it will overheat fast. City driving....no way to keep it cool for a long time.

A proper cooling system HAS a t-stat.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Delete