General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Would a Stripped Valve Cover Bolt Throw a P0507 Code?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would a Stripped Valve Cover Bolt Throw a P0507 Code?

As most guys I've seen on here, I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what has been causing my car to throw a P0507 code. I tried all the normally suggested causes (vacuum lines, TB issues, etc) and nothing. While I was going around making sure everything was tight, I did find a stripped valve cover bolt on the passenger side.

Would a stripped bolt cause unmetered air to get into the engine enough to throw this code?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
As most guys I've seen on here, I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what has been causing my car to throw a P0507 code. I tried all the normally suggested causes (vacuum lines, TB issues, etc) and nothing. While I was going around making sure everything was tight, I did find a stripped valve cover bolt on the passenger side.

Would a stripped bolt cause unmetered air to get into the engine enough to throw this code?

I highly doubt it as that is not on the intake part of the engine.

1. Try cleaning IAC?
2. If you have a scanner, you can command the IAC. It maybe be carboned up and not moving in and out like it should.
3. Once again, scanner to look at the TPS. At idle it should read 0% (I believe) until you press the throttle. Maybe the TPS is bad?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtreme57
it may depending on the engine and how the pcv system works.
i went through some issues on a 2006 gmc truck i bought, having the 8.1L engine and that does that have a traditional pcv system with a pcv valve. instead the intake manifold has an orifice on the bottom of it and sucks directly from the block into the intake, and fresh air that enters the crankcase passes through the throttle body and previously through the MAF sensor. So it is metered air, and for me i had to make sure there were no vacuum leaks elsewhere on the motor, that included the oil fill cap and the oil dipstick tube where it goes into the pan. I know on my 8.1L if i undo the oil fill cap the idle shoots high for a second, and if i pull the dipstick while the motor is running same thing and i can feel suction on the dipstick tube.
So i would say you need to study your motor and understand how the crankcase ventilation system works, you didn't mention what motor this was on. I don't think one bad valve cover fastener would necessary cause a vacuum leak but who knows. if you have oil leaking out between the valve cover and head then i would say yes you have a vacuum leak there.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I highly doubt it as that is not on the intake part of the engine.

1. Try cleaning IAC?
2. If you have a scanner, you can command the IAC. It maybe be carboned up and not moving in and out like it should.
3. Once again, scanner to look at the TPS. At idle it should read 0% (I believe) until you press the throttle. Maybe the TPS is bad?
1 - I did clean the IAC, no luck. I have a new one coming in the mail, but something tells me it won't be that easy.

2 - How do you mean command the IAC?

3 - TPS = Throttle position sensor?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
it may depending on the engine and how the pcv system works.
i went through some issues on a 2006 gmc truck i bought, having the 8.1L engine and that does that have a traditional pcv system with a pcv valve. instead the intake manifold has an orifice on the bottom of it and sucks directly from the block into the intake, and fresh air that enters the crankcase passes through the throttle body and previously through the MAF sensor. So it is metered air, and for me i had to make sure there were no vacuum leaks elsewhere on the motor, that included the oil fill cap and the oil dipstick tube where it goes into the pan. I know on my 8.1L if i undo the oil fill cap the idle shoots high for a second, and if i pull the dipstick while the motor is running same thing and i can feel suction on the dipstick tube.
So i would say you need to study your motor and understand how the crankcase ventilation system works, you didn't mention what motor this was on. I don't think one bad valve cover fastener would necessary cause a vacuum leak but who knows. if you have oil leaking out between the valve cover and head then i would say yes you have a vacuum leak there.

Ah, I forgot that not everyone on here has and LS1. Yea, it's a 2001 LS1 with LS6 heads and cam. It should be noted that this all started after my car started throwing a misfire code. It turned out to be a broken valve spring that my mechanic found, BUT he did go through and clean the MAF along with all the corresponding parts before find the broken spring. When I got it back, it started throwing the P0507 code, along with the idle surging.

Quick Reply: Would a Stripped Valve Cover Bolt Throw a P0507 Code?