Got my car, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my car, now what?

I just bought my car today for 2,500
99 z28 with ls1 and 6 speed
I was wondering if anyone knows any good websites that sell products to fully customize my camaro?
Like for mustang they have americanmuscle.com
BTW, what are some things i should do to my car before i start moddifying it?
Cheers
Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.afterthoughtsauto.com or look to the right of this website for many different vendors..

Last edited by alexus6798; 10-27-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

99 z for 2,500 nice.
Really need more info on what you want to do with car.
6leater.com
Afterthoughts.com are a couple if sights to check out.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

American Muscle was awesome back when I had my stang lol. I just got my SS so i'll be interested in this thread as well
Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by theskitztikwon
99 z for 2,500 nice.
Really need more info on what you want to do with car.
6leater.com
Afterthoughts.com are a couple if sights to check out.
Well, eventually i really want my ls1 to be pushing 350hp 350torqe..
Then when it does that, id like make the interior look nice, then finally get the paintjob that iv always wanted...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy7
Well, eventually i really want my ls1 to be pushing 350hp 350torqe..
Well if you mean fwhp then it already does that...if you want rwhp then lid, LT's, tune and done.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the things you should consider doing before you really start "mod'ing" your car are just simple maintenance things. You didn't mention it, but, just guessing from the price you paid I'll say it has relatively high miles. Start with spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, change the oil, trans and rear diff fluid changes as well. Make sure the clutch isn't going to leave you stranded. Flush your clutch fluid. Pull your bellows off and clean all the crud from around your throttle body blade because they get really dirty since it's a 99 and running the EGR still. Some of the maintenance things you can do could also be upgraded or "mods" as you do them. Replace the spark plug wires with msd's. Throw in a new air filter with an SLP lid. Check to make sure your brakes are good. If not thats another thing you can upgrade while you are replacing. There is a sponsor on here who can get you some zinc plated, drilled and slotted front and rear rotors with a set of front and rear ceramic pads for less than $200 to your door. Tires? Are your's going to hold up to the kind of spirited driving you are going to do with the new toy? If not, might be a good time to go ahead and grab the wheels you're looking at along with the tires you need. Check things like your front wheel hub bearing, and tie rod ends. May look into wheather or not you need an alignment, especially if you just installed new tires. Also check to make sure your shocks aren't leaking. If so, another great replacement that is also a "mod" in the process is a set of SLP Bilstein shocks that work fantastic with your stock springs if you have no intentions of lowering it. If so, BMR and Strano make a fantastic set of springs that will work great with the new Bilsteins you'll throw on. There is a lot of maintenance things you should really look into before you start dumping money into things such has headers and a tune. Putting headers on your car now will do you no good if your car "needs" tires or a clutch. Just my .02 and hope it helps. Also, this is about the best online community for anything LS engine base related so welcome and all the vendors to the right of the page are fantastic. I recommend WS6Store.com. Been buying from them for years with great prices and unbeatable customer service. Good luck OP.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Some of the things you should consider doing before you really start "mod'ing" your car are just simple maintenance things. You didn't mention it, but, just guessing from the price you paid I'll say it has relatively high miles. Start with spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, change the oil, trans and rear diff fluid changes as well. Make sure the clutch isn't going to leave you stranded. Flush your clutch fluid. Pull your bellows off and clean all the crud from around your throttle body blade because they get really dirty since it's a 99 and running the EGR still. Some of the maintenance things you can do could also be upgraded or "mods" as you do them. Replace the spark plug wires with msd's. Throw in a new air filter with an SLP lid. Check to make sure your brakes are good. If not thats another thing you can upgrade while you are replacing. There is a sponsor on here who can get you some zinc plated, drilled and slotted front and rear rotors with a set of front and rear ceramic pads for less than $200 to your door. Tires? Are your's going to hold up to the kind of spirited driving you are going to do with the new toy? If not, might be a good time to go ahead and grab the wheels you're looking at along with the tires you need. Check things like your front wheel hub bearing, and tie rod ends. May look into wheather or not you need an alignment, especially if you just installed new tires. Also check to make sure your shocks aren't leaking. If so, another great replacement that is also a "mod" in the process is a set of SLP Bilstein shocks that work fantastic with your stock springs if you have no intentions of lowering it. If so, BMR and Strano make a fantastic set of springs that will work great with the new Bilsteins you'll throw on. There is a lot of maintenance things you should really look into before you start dumping money into things such has headers and a tune. Putting headers on your car now will do you no good if your car "needs" tires or a clutch. Just my .02 and hope it helps. Also, this is about the best online community for anything LS engine base related so welcome and all the vendors to the right of the page are fantastic. I recommend WS6Store.com. Been buying from them for years with great prices and unbeatable customer service. Good luck OP.
It has 95k miles
And I took it in for an inspection before I bought it, and it also has a complete new suspension and new clutch. But yes I plan on doing a complete full tune up. As for the wheels I do plan in running on stock rims, so I'll get the stock tires for them. I do however plan in the future to lower the car a little not to much, and get some American racing type wheels. I've also heard that getting the ram hood is beneficial? if I get it what will I have to do to the engine?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Getting a ram hood is not really beneficial at all. You're better off getting something such as a SSRA or Chris1313 cold air setup. The Factory ram air, such as the one on my 99 SS, is nothing more than an appearance modification. It really does nothing. I'm currently lowered on a set of BMR springs and I run Koni SA front and rear shocks. I also run a set of American Racing Torque Thrust 2's with 9.5 up front and the 11's in the rear. I have no issues and love the performance of it. It's a good thing you got it checked out before you bought it. If all is well, after you get some new tires and such for it, go crazy. When I bought my car I had to put nearly 3k into it before I could really even drive it because the original owner bashed it so bad. I still bought the car though because it's SLP #45 and I wanted a low build number car so it was worth it because I was able to do all the work to the car myself. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your car.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Getting a ram hood is not really beneficial at all. You're better off getting something such as a SSRA or Chris1313 cold air setup. The Factory ram air, such as the one on my 99 SS, is nothing more than an appearance modification. It really does nothing. I'm currently lowered on a set of BMR springs and I run Koni SA front and rear shocks. I also run a set of American Racing Torque Thrust 2's with 9.5 up front and the 11's in the rear. I have no issues and love the performance of it. It's a good thing you got it checked out before you bought it. If all is well, after you get some new tires and such for it, go crazy. When I bought my car I had to put nearly 3k into it before I could really even drive it because the original owner bashed it so bad. I still bought the car though because it's SLP #45 and I wanted a low build number car so it was worth it because I was able to do all the work to the car myself. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your car.
Mmm OK, I'll keep that in mind
What's your opinion on those volvant air intakes? The ones with the dual k&n air filters?
And that's what I want to do with my car...put bigger wheels in the back and a size or two smaller in the front...
You mind posting a pic or two of your car?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are the pics of this bad boy!?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

95k and a completely new suspension? For $2,500 you stole it.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Where are the pics of this bad boy!?
Haha, I came to a trip to l.a.
I'll post a couple pics when I get home

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
95k and a completely new suspension? For $2,500 you stole it.
Yeah I Did, my auto instructor saw it, and assumed I paid at least 5,500 for it
Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to post up some pictures of you of my ride to give you an idea of how mine looks but I'm in Afghanistan right now and I don't have any pictures of it with the kit and wheels on it (Just had it done). And the Volant intake is kind of a love/hate relationship from everything I've read about it. I have no personal experience with it, however, I have read many threads and post's reguarding it. From my understand it works quite well with the WS6 ram air hood and seals to it quite nicely. That being said I still don't think it will perform as well as the others I've already mentioned. Personnaly all I have is an SLP lid with a K&N filter and I did the free mod to my car. Haven't had the money for a CAI setup lately but I will probably run one of the two I mentioned just depending on who has one on sale and I plan to keep my A/C system. I personally like the 17x9.5 front with a 275/40/17 and a rear 17x11 with a 315/35/17. I like the TT2's but a lot of people will tell you they are played out. I find them classic to a muscle car, and give "my" car the iconic american look (as how I think it should given it's my car). However if you look into OEWheels setups they genereally have a nice 17x9.5 or 18x9.5 setup's in the front paired with what seems to be the very popular 18x10.5 in the rear. There seems to be a lot more tire choices if you go with that size tire as compared to the 17x11 but it's all in what you like. In the same sizes I just mentioned of the OEWheels, American Racing offers their TTM (similar to the TT2) in chrome and other finishes (TT2's are only in polished finish). $2,500 is a steal my friend. I paid $7,000 for my car and I've put almost that much into with everything I've done with it. My only suggestion to you is to buy what you want the first time around. If you need to save some money before a purchase, do so. It's better to buy what you want the first time around instead of settling on something to fix your immediate need for speed because you'll just end up selling it to take a loss and buying what you wanted to begin with costing you twice as much in the long run.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Yea, where are the pics ??????
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Teching In

What is the "free mod? "
Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Stroker motor & 88mm