Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Firebird monsoon radio work in a Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird monsoon radio work in a Camaro?

Just like the title says, will it work with the camaro monsoon amp and wiring?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, it will fit and work but there are other factors that may make it undesirable. The Firebird HU is dark gray and has red illumination and gray ***** and controls instead of the black face, blue/white illumination and black controls of a Camaro HU so it won't match the dash. Also, the Firebird HU does not have the speed sensitive volume control of a Camaro.

This is all covered in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

I don't care about those features, I just can't stand the way this camaro radio sounds. It the worst car stereo I ever heard! Its all bass, no mids and crappy highs. The firebird I have sounds great and has a built in EQ.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Changing to a different OEM head unit is not going to change the sound the way you think it will. The Firebird Monsoon system sounds better because of the better component setup (including more tweeters) and amp tuning not because of any significant difference in the HU. Sure you have more tone control with the equalizer but that won't really improve the overall sound. An aftermarket HU would really make a difference.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Whats really really terrible in this camaro radio is the seperation, it just sounds like a big ball of bass no matter how I set it. Camaro has the cassette radio with cd changer in the back. I bought a Camaro CD radio, i'm hoping it will sound a little better but didn't install it yet because it needs the night bulbs replaced.
I replaced the from door speakers with Infinity Reference 6032cf switched to componant and replaced the the rear 4 inch speakers with Pioneer 6.5 4ways which really helped BUT it didn't help the seperation. In the Firebird the voices and guitar etc are seperated nicely and it sounds great. I see the firebird amp is wired for 2 more tweeters in the back. But Its hard to believe thats the only differance. Thanks for the input by the way.

What I'd like to find is HU that I can use with the steering wheel controls and the 12 disc factory cd changer. Prefer Pioneer if its possible.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can retain steering wheel controls with almost all brand-name aftermarket head units. Not so much with the CD changer. Despite being made by Pioneer, even Pioneer head units won't work with the factory changer. That doesn't seem to bother most buyers since CDs are rapidly losing ground to flash drives and other storage media. You can store and index many times as much content on electronic storage media at lower cost and with no mechanical parts to break down.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

I swapped in the Camaro CD Monsoon radio, huge improvement over the cassete monsoon radio. Actually sounds "OK" now.

Quick Reply: Firebird monsoon radio work in a Camaro?