General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver side turn signal not working. Tried the basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver side turn signal not working. Tried the basics

Car is a 98z, and my driver side turn signal has quit working. Passenger side works fine. The drivers side indicator will just stay lit, no blinking. The drivers side rear turn signal will be lit(not blinking), but the front wont be. So I pulled the front bulb and found the housing burnt. Took a connector/housing from a 02 SS harness, thinking that was the problem. Nope. Used a bulb I knew was working, and still nothing. Replaced the turn signal flasher with one from my 98 WS6 wiring harness. That got the indicator to flash and the rear turn signal to flash, but still not the front turn signal. The bulb wont light up when I release my ebrake, but will if I manually turn them on. Any ideas on what to look at?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

burnt socket?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a short to ground in the wiring. Somewhere there is a splice that is shorting to the fender or frame.

Had a similar problem in a 92 S10 - ended up being shot wiring practices from previous owner.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
burnt socket?
I dont think so cause I replaced it.

Originally Posted by SS10Tech
You've got a short to ground in the wiring. Somewhere there is a splice that is shorting to the fender or frame.

Had a similar problem in a 92 S10 - ended up being shot wiring practices from previous owner.
Ugh not what I wanted to hear. I just dont understand why the light works with the headlights on, and why the rear blinks with a different flasher.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich92RS
I dont think so cause I replaced it.

Ugh not what I wanted to hear. I just dont understand why the light works with the headlights on, and why the rear blinks with a different flasher.
Could be the crossed wire culprit causing your problems. I would check to see where the wires intersect and go from there. The problem in that S10 was actually near the front bumper where the wiring comes from the distro block into the headlight splices. Same symptoms - shorted it would not blink, the dash light would stay solid, and the light that was not externally on was the light that had the short.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I take it that when you turn on the hazards, everything flashes except for the driver's front bulb?

Car is a 98z, and my driver side turn signal has quit working. Passenger side works fine. The drivers side indicator will just stay lit, no blinking. The drivers side rear turn signal will be lit(not blinking), but the front wont be.
This is typically a bad flasher, although a burnt bulb or broken circuit can cause the same thing.

So I pulled the front bulb and found the housing burnt.
This is normal. Delphi made a high temp socket, but GM went with the low temp option on the cars - so we get a lot of superficial charring. (The high temp socket parts are so outrageously expensive - and have to be purchased in bulk - that they aren't worth considering.)

Replaced the turn signal flasher with one from my 98 WS6 wiring harness.
This is probably a stronger or electronic flasher...

That got the indicator to flash and the rear turn signal to flash, but still not the front turn signal. The bulb wont light up when I release my ebrake, but will if I manually turn them on. Any ideas on what to look at?
The bulb has to filaments. One is for the parking lights. (This is the one you see when you turn on the headlights.) The other is for the DRL and turn signal. (This is the one not working for you. The DRL is off when you release the emergency brake and the turn signal isn't working.)

If you are sure it isn't the bulb, then you should test the wire coming in to the socket to see if there is power. Particularly after folks change the socket, its common for a wiring problem to enter the equation.

If the wires coming to the socket (not just the contacts in the socket) are dead, you'll need to next check your DRL module to see if power is coming out of it. If yes, then you have a wiring problem between it and the socket. If no, then its a DRL module issue.

Quick Reply: Driver side turn signal not working. Tried the basics