Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do I need?

The car is a 2001 Camaro with a 6 speed. It will put down roughly 470hp with the performance parts in it. I want to be able to get that power to the ground, so what do i need to do that? i was thinking SFC's LCA's torque arm and pan hard. I also wanna get adjustable coil overs and lower the car about an inch to maybe an inch and a half (dont wanna go to far cause of the TD's) For what im looking at is it worth is to get tubular K member, sway bars, lower and upper A arms?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What parts you'll want and what parts you'll need will all depend on what you're planning to use your car for. I usually don't steer people in the direction of a K-member or upper/lower A-arms unless they're looking to race their car for "the number" at the track.

To keep things into perspective, the most essential parts for that power level would be lower control arms, subframe connectors, and a torque arm. If you're lowering your car as you've described, an adjustable panhard bar should be in the cards too. I would strongly encourage you to relocate the torque arm off the transmission with 470hp. It's proactive to prevent tailshaft failure and there is a performance benefit.

If there is anything you have any questions about, let me know. We can put parts together in a custom package and save you a few bones.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
The car is a 2001 Camaro with a 6 speed. It will put down roughly 470hp with the performance parts in it. I want to be able to get that power to the ground, so what do i need to do that? i was thinking SFC's LCA's torque arm and pan hard. I also wanna get adjustable coil overs and lower the car about an inch to maybe an inch and a half (dont wanna go to far cause of the TD's) For what im looking at is it worth is to get tubular K member, sway bars, lower and upper A arms?
I'd recommend a similar setup as follows:

SFC's to tie the car together. Good choice for street/strip/auto-x.
LCA and PHB kit. LCA's non adjustable, PHB adjustable.

If you're planning to keep a stock length torque arm you can either choose our 2205/2207 combo or just do the 2207 and retain the factory torque arm.

Lower Control Arm Relocation brackets will help transfer the power.

To lower the rear you can choose the popular heater hose mod and use your existing rear springs to get about 3/4 inch. QA1 coilovers up front work nicely. Single adjustable for most, some guys choose the double. No "R" series unless you're planning to get the front tires in the air.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=7

thanks

ramey
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also am getting the TSP 3" true duals and LT headers, so i dont want to loose alot of ground clearance since the car will be a DD. will the SFC's or the torque arm interfere with the exhaust?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
FormerVendor

I also am getting the TSP 3" true duals and LT headers, so i dont want to loose alot of ground clearance since the car will be a DD. will the SFC's or the torque arm interfere with the exhaust?
You'll need a long torque arm (i.e. trans mount 2205) instead of a short torque arm due to the TD's.

The SFC's and TA fit nicely and are tucked up nicely.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

The pics from a car we did show the system nicely. And these cars sound pretty awesome with the True Duals for sure.

later

ramey
Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont mean to create a rivalry between businesses here, but i want to know whose SFC's are better? UMI or BMR? The SFC's offered have completely different designs. Im not sure if one is better or just two different designs for the same purpose. While the boxed SFC's look more strong, im worried if they would take away from ground clearance or be hard to hid under the car?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I dont mean to create a rivalry between businesses here, but i want to know whose SFC's are better? UMI or BMR? The SFC's offered have completely different designs. Im not sure if one is better or just two different designs for the same purpose. While the boxed SFC's look more strong, im worried if they would take away from ground clearance or be hard to hid under the car?
You have opened a can of worms. haha
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
You have opened a can of worms. haha
lol i was afraid of that. I was just curious, its probably a personal preference choice i would assume.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ultimately, it does come down to personal preference. I can tell you that our brackets around the lower control arms are formed with a single piece of steel and that we only suggest subframes be welded to ensure an actual solid connection to the front and rear subframes.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ I agree with all the above. I wouldn't recommend a tubular K member if the car sees alot of time on the street. MWC subframe connectors are good too.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have a set of tubular 3 point UMI SFCs and can say they tuck very nicely and cause no clearance issues.

As far as who's are better? I'm willing to say there is probably minimal difference and both will perform as expected.

Quick Reply: What do I need?