Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default LQ rebuild questions.

I'm eventually going to be going LS/LQ in my 80 Trans am and in the mean time I want to get an idea of what the best route to go is. A friend of mine can get a LQ4 from a guy he knows for nothing but its supposidly a bad engine ( don't know whats wrong) but I assume it would be rebuildable. I'm not looking to make a race car but I would like a mid 12s car in the end and I"m sure I can reach my goals with a stock displacement motor but would I be better off rebuilding or would I be better off finding a good running lower mileage engine and going that route. If rebuilding it would be the better choice are there more to it than rebuilding a SBC. Ive done those before but never had the oil pan off an LS. What do you guys think?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for an lq9, they have flat top pistons which will be better for ptv and compression
Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ultimately rebuilding is going to be better "If It's Done Correctly" new bearings and measure the bearing clearance ,,,,,,hone the rod big ends ,,,,,,have block bored to an over-size and new pistons ,,,,,,,new ls2 timing set , new Melling 10295 stock volume , high pressure oil pump ,,,,,,,,,but there are alot of good running engines that will work just dropping 1 in ,,,,,,so it depends on You ,,,,,how much cash you have for it ,,,,,,,,i can tell You this ,,,,,,,,You can easily spend $1500-2000 buying an engine and rebuilding it Yourself having the machining done at a shop .
Old 11-10-2012, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With such a modest performance goal I would save a lot of cash and just find a good condition stock engine. That should cost you less than pistons alone would cost for a rebuild.

Far as displacement, the stock crank in these is very strong and again your performance goal modest, I wouldn't consider replacing it till aiming for a LOT lower ET.

Hell as modest as this goal is some well thought out boltons and a cam should do the trick.

Quick Reply: LQ rebuild questions.