Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angle Milling

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angle Milling

What are the pro's and con's ? I have AFR heads with the 3/4 in thick decks. AFR offers angle milling from the factory as well.

Along with increasing CR, will it increase flow by standing the valves up?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSkindog
What are the pro's and con's ? I have AFR heads with the 3/4 in thick decks. AFR offers angle milling from the factory as well.

No input?

Anyone have a link to a site that would could have some info?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on what you're doing and the amount of the angle milling, you're going to have to run into all kinds of fitment and alignment issues. Headers, intake manifold, etc. There are reasons to angle mill, but not for the average guy with the average wallet and time.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So AFR heads are already shipping to customers?
Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So AFR heads are already shipping to customers?
The engine in question is a 400 SBC.........My LS1 is stock yet
Old 04-12-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by SSkindog

The thick decks are very advantageous in the strength they provide. You have less blown head gaskets, head distortion if you run it hot. The head is more resilient when you overboost, hellacious nitrous apps', blower apps'. It's all a win-win situation. If you have it together you won't have a head that lifts when you really pack in the PSI. You really don't want to redeck a head unless you just have to because of the aforementioned reasons. Alot of places will do it as a low buck way to raise compression, but that's like kissing your sister in the end.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sawedoff
The thick decks are very advantageous in the strength they provide. You have less blown head gaskets, head distortion if you run it hot. The head is more resilient when you overboost, hellacious nitrous apps', blower apps'. It's all a win-win situation. If you have it together you won't have a head that lifts when you really pack in the PSI. You really don't want to redeck a head unless you just have to because of the aforementioned reasons. Alot of places will do it as a low buck way to raise compression, but that's like kissing your sister in the end.
I have the largest pop up dome piston available (3 cc) and I still only have 11.5:1 CR because of the stock 76cc chambers on AFR's Race head.
So, I dont have any choice but to mill the heads to bring the CR up........
Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

You could to a .075 to 0 angle mill, which would drastically drop chamber volume. Then just resurface the intake side to get your correct alignment back. Pretty common deal.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
You could to a .075 to 0 angle mill, which would drastically drop chamber volume. Then just resurface the intake side to get your correct alignment back. Pretty common deal.
Thats exactly what we are doing, and it will bring the chamber volume to 64 cc, from 76 cc. Static CR will increase to 13.5:1. I am expecting power gains from the CR increase.

I am wondering whether there will be any increase in intake port flow, due to the angle milling, which will stand the valve up a bit. Increased flow = power gains there too....... ??