Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rod ended vs Poly ended panhard

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod ended vs Poly ended panhard

I've heard that rod ended cars are noisier and ride rougher. What are the advantages of rod ends over poly bushing ends?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

advantage is if you hook at the track all the give and strain transmit straight to your rearend.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Spherical rod ends do tend to transfer NVHs more than the poly-urethane bushings because the spherical rods ends are a solid mount where as the poly-urethane bushings have the bushing itself to absorb most of the NVHs. If your car is more of a daily driver than the poly-urethane panhard rod would probably be a better option. If your car is a high horsepower car that is going to see a bunch of abuse and be raced the spherical rod ended panhrad rod would probably be your best option.

If there is anything we can do to help you out let me know.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The PHB location transfer little to no noise, get what you want and don't worry about it.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

isnt rod ended and poly ended offered , a sort of half and half .
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z06this
I've heard that rod ended cars are noisier and ride rougher. What are the advantages of rod ends over poly bushing ends?
Poly bushings would be better for most street applications. The rod ends can tend to add a little noise to the car. Some rod ends make it worse because then can be low grade economy style. We use a high grade Telfon lined rod end to help eliminate the added noise.

A good option for in between a rod end and poly bushing is our our roto-joint. Check out the information here- https://www.umiperformance.com/catal...age=roto_joint

Lastly, If you are running an adjustable torque arm I recommend at least one end of the panhard bar to have a rod end or Roto-Joint. This is because as you adjust pinion angle the rear end rotates. The spherical joint on one end allows the rotation with out bind.

I hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z06this

Really depends on what you want to do with the car. Rod ends will tend to transmit more of the road input into the chassis vs poly, poly will transmit more than oem rubber. Poly bushings or any of the other "joints" on the market will require maintenance as well, and will tend to make squeeking noises occasionally.

If you are just a weekend cruiser and race the car a bit then rod ends may be the way to go, but be carefull of the type you are buying. Stay away from the cheap plastic injected body style that most are using as this style will transmit more noise and wear quickly. MWC uses only high quality FK brand rod ends on all suspension components and we very rarely hear of any issues. No maintenance is required with the type of rod ends we use.

Poly ends will bind the suspension worse than any other connection. They get the job done, but not the best for any suspension component in the performance world.

Give us a call... MWC offers the highest quality suspension components at the guaranteed best prices. The quickest and fastest stock suspension f-body cars are all using MWC components!

Quick Reply: Rod ended vs Poly ended panhard