What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Salvage Title WS6

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title WS6

Well, saw this for sale locally, so I think I'm going to go look at it. Is 7,700 reasonable price with a salvage title?

Details:
2000 WS6 M6

MS4 cam with double springs, ceramic headers, texas speed cattless y pipe, SLP LM1 catback, BBK alum intake manifold, SLP lid with K@N filter, hptuners tune

Additional Comments: Car is SALVAGE title( was fixed by reputable shop) car made 379 rwhp with 38x rwtq with a pretty mild tune, silimar set ups are right around 400 wheel
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

I read somewhere that they are worth $1000 dollars less then KBB with a salvage title. I paid more then that for my car with a salvage title and i love the car.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

What're some of the things I should look for? Anything to listen for on a cold start? Going to look at it on Wednesday.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Salvage title with a big cam? Seriously keep looking man. You're looking at getting yourself into a huge hole unless you plan on keeping it forever.

For $7,700 you could find something unmolested and fairly low miles.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I read somewhere that they are worth $1000 dollars less then KBB with a salvage title. I paid more then that for my car with a salvage title and i love the car.
General rule of thumb is salvage cars are worth HALF of what a clean titled car would be worth.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravik
Well, saw this for sale locally, so I think I'm going to go look at it. Is 7,700 reasonable price with a salvage title?

I would first determine why its a salvage and who fixed it. If its been in a fire, flood or had major frame damage Id pass on it. Sometimes they total cars out for minor things to.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
I would first determine why its a salvage and who fixed it. If its been in a fire, flood or had major frame damage Id pass on it. Sometimes they total cars out for minor things to.
Yup, will be the first question I ask. if it was indeed repaired correctly then yeah.

Originally Posted by slikrider20
Salvage title with a big cam? Seriously keep looking man. You're looking at getting yourself into a huge hole unless you plan on keeping it forever.

There's a clean stock one here for sale but owner is asking $13k and thats out of my price range.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Find out why he is selling. Take a buddy who is mechanically inclined and let him look it over with you. With that cam you want to make sure there are no other issues. Check fluids, maintenance records, etc...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

I could not have said it better.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

General rule of thumb is salvage cars are worth HALF of what a clean titled car would be worth.
Right on the money again. Even then it's a real big maybe.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Do you have any experience with salvage title vehicles or body/frame repair?

Ive personally been flipping cars for some years now, most had salvage titles. Uneducated people like yourself ruined it for honest people trying to make a buck.

While in college worked at a body shop and seen several cars receive repair that were far more damaged than some vehicles that were totaled out. ITS ALL UP TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY.

With that being said, OP i would look at the car and ask TONS of questions. Honestly I would be more worried about some idiot modding the car, than the salvage title.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Right on the money again. Even then it's a real big maybe.
Was offered 18.5 CASH for a 2000 corvette convertible WITH A SALVAGE TITLE.

Guess I got lucky
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BD1987
Was offered 18.5 CASH for a 2000 corvette convertible WITH A SALVAGE TITLE.

Guess I got lucky
how long ago? I hope you took it and ran......

What are the miles on the car? If it's low and you plan on keeping the car for a long time then it may be worth that. There are plenty of deals out there if you're willing to look and wait.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

most of the time its %30 off retail when they have a rebuilt or salvage title.if you don't know what youre looking at take someone with you that does.see if there are any pics of the damage that gave it a branded title.also the mileage?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

ive seen some cars with a "theft by recovery" salvaged title???
does that mean it was just stolen at one point in time???
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I could not have said it better.
Originally Posted by WS6_101

What are the miles on the car? If it's low and you plan on keeping the car for a long time then it may be worth that. There are plenty of deals out there if you're willing to look and wait.
58k miles on the car.

I've yet to find a good deal. Most WS6's with under 60k miles seem to go for 12-13k.

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
Find out why he is selling. Take a buddy who is mechanically inclined and let him look it over with you. With that cam you want to make sure there are no other issues. Check fluids, maintenance records, etc...
Are there any issues with the MS4 cam?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BD1987
Do you have any experience with salvage title vehicles or body/frame repair?

Ive personally been flipping cars for some years now, most had salvage titles. Uneducated people like yourself ruined it for honest people trying to make a buck.

While in college worked at a body shop and seen several cars receive repair that were far more damaged than some vehicles that were totaled out. ITS ALL UP TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY.

With that being said, OP i would look at the car and ask TONS of questions. Honestly I would be more worried about some idiot modding the car, than the salvage title.
Of course you're going to disagree with me, you're one of the people making money off of salvage cars. And yes, my current car has a salvage title. I'm not saying they can't be decent cars, it's just not wise to dump alot of money on one because you're more than likely not going to get NEAR that back if you plan to resell. If you've had luck, good for you. I just wouldn't advise it. You're already fighting the depreciating value of the car, why add a salvage title to it?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are there any issues with the MS4 cam?[/QUOTE]

No it's a great cam, lots of lift. Have to change valve springs every so many miles I would ask Texas Speed. I have the MS3 the younger/ smaller brother of the MS4. I love it. The idle sound is awesome and screams up top. This is a gut decision for you. Salvage does not mean it was wrapped around a tree and fixed. As mentioned before insurance companies total a car for stupid things like air bags. Just get the details and report back to us man. We will help answer your questions the best we can.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

paid 8k for my unmolested 02 formula M6 with 95k miles. Salvage title vehicles are ****, my first car was and never again. Worst cars to try and sell, believe me from experience don't bother.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6_101

LOL great questions

Mileage was around 22,000. I bought this car wrecked, hustled parts, and have under 10,000 in it. Ive owned it for ~2 years, OH NOOOESSS ITS A SALVAGE TITLE.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title WS6