New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for some advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some advise

Right now I have a 350z however look to do a ls1 swap into it sometime in the future. While this may be a year or longer from now I feel that it may be a good idea to purchase a running camaro, drive it for awhile to get used to the power and then when ready make the swap and part out the camaro to sell it as a roller. Now, my question or advise I'm looking for is really what kind of mileage I should be looking for. Part of me wants to just buy a running camaro with 100k+ miles on it for fairly cheap and then have the motor built when it gets pulled out. I'm fairly new when it comes to GM engines so I'm not really sure whats considered high mileage. Anything I should really stay away from above a certain point if I dont want to build it right away? Same with the transmission. It wont be a daily so I wont be putting thousands of miles on it a month

thanks for your input
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep it around 100k miles. you can get one under 100k for around 5500 if you look hard enough.

Im wayy interested in seeing an LS1 in a 350z the nissan guys are gonna hate it but id honestly love an LSx with a T56 in a g35 sedan...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look for a used motor and harness out of a wrecked f-body or a vette.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at condition over miles , highway miles are way easier on a car and if it looks well cared for it typically was.

my highest mileage ls1 car has 233,000 miles on it and it is by far the nicest of the 3 ls1 cars I own currently and has been modded for about the last 150k according to previous owner (6speed full bolt on -watched him run 11.9 with it) , it is still strong as heck , If it got wrecked I wouldnt hesitate to put the engine in another car as is.

just took my wifes a4 car (long tubes ,gmmg , lid) out a couple hours ago with 170k on it and did a heck of a nice 1st & 2nd burn on the limiter both gears about 400 feet down a buddys long driveway before letting off to brake for the street

dont turn up the rpm limiters much , keep them cool and keep oil clean & full and miles wont be a big factor , its not how many miles its what they were treated like during those miles , if the majority was highway poking along at 1500 rpm or less its not a big deal , 70k around town getting hot suppers all the time is way harder on an engine

Quick Reply: looking for some advise