PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 & PCM operating system questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 & PCM operating system questions.

I've done a good bit of reading, and have written my tune for the first E85 fireup coming up here probably on wednesday or thursday.

I DO NOT want this thread to turn into another E85 vs. Gasoline thread that clutters up the search function.

My car is a 1999 C5 LPE 650 twin turbo. With everything in place for the increased demand in fuel. Bigger injectors, pump, and a boostapump.

I'm not looking to turn up the boost. I just want the added security of E85, and a little more timing in boost.

My question is mainly concerning the PCM.

Is it possible to load up a flex fuel operating system that detects the change from gasoline to E85 automatically without the use of the flex fuel sensor onto my PCM?

Would I need to swap in one of the flex fuel PCMs?

I really want to get this implemented so I can combine my tunes, interpolate, and not have to worry about ethanol percentages.

I'm currently running a 2 BAR SD OS on 93, and it is running REALLY well. I've spent a lot of time getting this thing dialed. Night and day difference than the stock LPE tune.

I don't think I have seen this topic specifically addressed with HP tuners. If you know where the info is, please show me the way. I don't mind reading, but I have yet to find it, and have searched A LOT!

Thanks

John
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead.

I would like to accomplish the same exact thing. I am familiar with Haltechs approach using dual fuel and timing maps and interpolating between the 2 to determine the value at that point in time. They use an in tank ethanol concentration sensor.

Now, GM has E85 vehicles, how do they do it? I would like to get a PCM from a E85 complient vehicle and try to calibrate it with HPTuners. Is this possible? Someone on here has done this I am sure. Anyone?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent seen anyone using a flex fuel tune w/ethanol sensor adjusting to ethanol % real time yet ( I would love to stand corrected though lol)

I have seen people using the zeitronics ethanol tester or test tube method to determine actual % of e and adjusting stoich as needed , 2 or 3 tunes should cover e70-e85(what can come out of an e85 pump) you would think and maybe with monitoring only require a reflash at time of seasonal blend changes???

I live in a state with no e85 but have seen the amazing results so I peek in at all these threads so I know whats up/get educated for if and when we get it.

Quick Reply: E85 & PCM operating system questions.