LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

another tranny bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another tranny bites the dust...

well yesterday, the GXP left me stranded in the city

a few weeks ago when driving the car, when crusing at highway speeds inbetween the RPMs of 1500-2400, i noticed the car "fell on its face" for a split second and kept going, it would do it every few seconds, sometimes harder then others

i told my mechanic that i thought the trans was starting to go, after having him "quiclky" look it over, replaced the spark plugs and same issue, then he gave it a really good look and said the coilpacks are fine, i have an issue in the trans, and possibly an issue in the computer

Yesterday, driving in the city, i noticed when i was speeding up that the rpms went up and then a second later the car decided to get going shall i say, then a few hundred feet down the road, the trans just gave out, i was driving at a constant speed, then all of a sudden, the RPMs went up and the Km/h went down

after letting the car sit for 5 minutes, i started it and the car could move for about 20 seconds then it would stop working again, it gave me enough time to put the car in a parking lot and off the road.

so what a fun adventure to the start of my work week

now the car was on its original trans when this happened...... 250,400km

how far has the normal GXP trans gone?

also the car would be getting picked up tomorrow to go in for service as i need a car, i would prefer Dave at TEP to do it but shipping would be a SOB on my wallet, whats Dave normally charge anyways? and how long is his turnaround time? and could i just get parts from him and install it?

i dont have any contact info for Dave so any would be great
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Angry.GXP
so what a fun adventure to the start of my work week

now the car was on its original trans when this happened...... 250,400km

how far has the normal GXP trans gone?

also the car would be getting picked up tomorrow to go in for service as i need a car, i would prefer Dave at TEP to do it but shipping would be a SOB on my wallet, whats Dave normally charge anyways? and how long is his turnaround time? and could i just get parts from him and install it?

i dont have any contact info for Dave so any would be great

At 152,000 miles I think you should be pretty happy about the life of your trans. Most people on the board talk about theirs failing at 60k and less.

You can get Dave's info at tripleedgeperformance.com. From what other people on the forum have said you can get the parts from Dave and have your local trans shop install them. I think the trans will cost anywhere between 2000-3500 depending on what options you choose.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the quick response! and im happy the trans has lasted this long, but its too bad the price of these cars are dropping hard, i got a quote of my local shop to rebuild the trans thats in the car for $1800 CND + tax, by the time im done it would be about $2000

im going to send Dave a message to see if i can get the parts off him and get the shop to install it
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Angry.GXP
thanks for the quick response! and im happy the trans has lasted this long, but its too bad the price of these cars are dropping hard, i got a quote of my local shop to rebuild the trans thats in the car for $1800 CND + tax, by the time im done it would be about $2000

im going to send Dave a message to see if i can get the parts off him and get the shop to install it
Not a problem that's what these forums are for.

If that's the route you want to look into I would definitely give Dave a call and discuss your goals with your car DD, mods...etc and I am sure he would recommend what you will need.

Here is a good read from gmls4 about upgrading the trans on a budget:
http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,1240.0.html

Good luck and hopefully she won't be down too long.

Quick Reply: another tranny bites the dust...