Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent ticking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent ticking noise.

Went out to start the car today and noticed a ticking noise coming from the motor. at idle it was somewhat noticeable, but as the RPMs rise it gets slightly louder and more noticeable. After about 30 seconds of trying to pinpoint the area in which it was coming from it went away. I had this same thing happen to me last fall and it also went away quickly. Could this poosibly be a lifter sticking? it seemed to be coming from the passenger side front. I also noticed a slight grinding noise towards to front (timing chain?). The car runs perfectly fine during all of this, Just wondering what you guys think. TIA
Old 04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Piston Slap....take it in to your best local GM dealer and they should bring you in a new longblock.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if they'll cover something like that after I just put headers on?? I have the extended warranty, and I need some other things looked at too. I brought my car in after it started doing it last fall, but the dealership informed me that I was to pay for all the expenses up front, and collect dues from my warranty provider, So I said screw it. I do live about 15 miles from Berger, I wonder if they would be more leniant with the header issue? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to throw the stock stuff back on.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Believe it or not that noise might be your oil pump. My 99 has a similar problem right now and I think the pump is the problem. 98 -00 f-bodies are netorious for having the stock oil pumps fail. Watch to see if your pressure drops off to about 20PSI once its warm. If it is your pump you'll want to change it before its too late. You should be able to pick up an LS6 oil pump for about $125.
It could also be a header bolt has come loose. Re-torque them to 17ft lbs.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Yeah Good point my Oil pressure seems to be getting a little weaker, not really substantially, but it has been running about 5-10 PSI lower than usual. Ill keep my eye on it. Thanks
Anyone know about headers being an issue with engine related warranties?