Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for mustang LS swap people. Knowlegable swappers enter here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Questions for mustang LS swap people. Knowlegable swappers enter here!!!

So im in the planning stages of a Mustang LS swap. The motor itself im settled on. It will be an AES 390, heads undetermined, edelbrock pro-flo intake and procharged. Followed with a Th400 or 4L80. On to my question.

I had originally started my planning around a fox body. Then decided I wanted the updated styling of the 94-98 body style as the swap is still basicly the same. But now I have moved into contimplating my build around the 99-04 body style. So my question is, is the swap still the same or are there different challenges with the edge mustang. Ive wondered if there is something that makes it more difficult as I don't see many people doing it. I have searched and found a few build threads of the sort and have learned a lot from them but most of those guys are doing a lot of custom fab work and building more of a track car than a drop in street car. So in a nutshell is the 99-04 the same as swapping into a fox or sn95 or much more difficult?

Also I want to retain power breaking and steering. I understand how to keep the steering no prob but the brakes are another matter. In the threads ive read even with all there detail the power breaks seem to be skipped over in detail almost like its a given. I think the 99-04 has the hydraboost break setup and so if anyone has some detailed info for me on how that is done it would be greatly appreciated.

I also have some questions about wiring but will tackle that when the time comes.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the swap itself should be straight forward like the fox or early SN is...suspension wise they are almost exactly the same in design and parts are interchangeable....hydroboost uses powersteering pressure to actuate the "power" aspects of the braking...its just a matter of having the correct lines made....wiring wise it really depends on how you are going to run the motor and what engine management you want to run...it also depends on how simple of a setup you want...me personally, im running all my power through a switch panel and relays and not letting my factory wiring under the dash do much other than powering lights etc..
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. The part I was having a hard time understanding is on an fbody the break booster works off of vacuum if I understand correctly, with a simple vacuum line from the rear of the intake to the booster. But the hydroboost works off of hydrolic pressure as you said. So one is vacuum actuated and the other hydrolic. So how do those mate together?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
8 Second Club

You can run a brake booster that way from a 94-95 car I believe. If memory serves me right hydroboost wasn't offered until 96 when they switched to the modular engine. Before that they were all brake booster running off of vacuum. I think the V6 cars has a brake booster even after 96. No reason you can't use that set up in a new style. Other than exterior sheet metal the 94-04 Mustangs are the same.

Like it's already been said for the power steering you can just get the right lines made to adapt the LS style power steering pump to the factory steering rack. Although I'm not sure if you would need to run an older rack.

Another option would be to try and mount the Ford hydroboost pump on the LS belt drive but that would take a bit of work and reworking of the rest of the accessories.

If you ran into my build thread I went manual brakes/steering for weight savings not because it couldn't be done. My car might see about 1000 miles of street driving a year it's 99% a track car/toy for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can buy the power steering lines already setup for Chevy-Ford connectors. As for the pump to hydro setup. Take the factory lines and go to a hose shop or brake place to have them swap out the fittings and recrimp.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. Also ive read that the pressure difference needs a reducer of sorts to lower it down to mustang specs. How is this done? Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Keepin an eye on this!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

My 01 Mustang was a v6 car originally and has a vacuum booster. The other thing that gets overlooked is your gauges. On the later NE Mustangs ford used the CANBUS style instead of the serial style gauges(dont remember which year it switched). Of course you can just swap in a gauge cluster from a 94-95 Mustang.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah. I figured I woukd just swap to 94-95 cluster. But I got off the phone yesterday with PSI conversions about a custom harness and he said he can easily adapt that harness to run autometer gauges if I so choose. So that what im going to do.

Also I spent about 20 min on the phone with Bob from Brutespeed about a procharger setup. I told him I wanted to find a way to mount the procharger high, like the GTO instead of normal fbody position. We came to settle on the procharger F1A transplant kit, 12 rib upgrade with his blower cam. Its mounts high with nice billet brackets and is a fraction of the cost of an Fbody kit! Put it this way, he priced me a new F1A transplant kit for what I normally see used fbody D1 kits go for. Plus Procharger has cash back rebates through christmas. Also settled on a Treadstone TR1245 intercooler. CFM flow is right and the price can't be beat with only 1.5 psi drop.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Ok. Also ive read that the pressure difference needs a reducer of sorts to lower it down to mustang specs. How is this done? Thanks for the responses guys.
Just had to buy this part myself
http://www.jegs.com/i/Billet+Special...P1300/10002/-1
Link.
Found it searching for it the other day.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tired2valve
Just had to buy this part myself
http://www.jegs.com/i/Billet+Special...P1300/10002/-1
Link.
Found it searching for it the other day.
Very nice. Check that off the list!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Yep all you need is the two fittings for the rack and some an fittings and your done. Under 150$

Here's the fittings for the rack
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1001

Last edited by tired2valve; 12-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions for mustang LS swap people. Knowlegable swappers enter here!!!